Home Defense ARs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
Honestly mines a double duty predator/ home defense rig. 16" barrel, collapsible minimalist stock and a full length 15" handguard. One rail for a light up front. Light comes off if I'm hunting and goes on when I get home. Topped with a vortex strike eagle 1-6x24. At 1x with the illumination turned on it's basically a red dot (also effective on short range fast moving coyotes) at 6x its good to for popping coyotes at 300 yards.

Anyone got one? My mind has been so set on Long Range ARs that I dont know what to look for in a home defense one. Caliber, barrel length, tacticool accessories?

Buy a Magpul furnished FN with FSB, blue force gear two point sling, Surefire scout light, and finally an aimpoint pro from scalarworks with their mount. You can get "nicer" but you can't get much better. Go 16 or 14.5 on barrel unless you are suppressing. Even then I wouldn't go below 11.5-12.5 for the 556.

Anyone got one? My mind has been so set on Long Range ARs that I dont know what to look for in a home defense one. Caliber, barrel length, tacticool accessories?
I've got an SBR in 300blk built off of Aero receivers for home-defense. It has a Faxon 7.5" barrel and the Troy Tomahawk short stock topped with a Trijicon MRO and Troy Industries tritium BUIS. Accessories are a Deadair Nomad 30 suppressor and a Surefire 600 light with rail mounted pressure switch but if I had to do it again I would get the shorter 300 for an SBR. It's super compact and quiet. It's definitely my go to home defense AR

i live in a neighborhood, a rifle caliber AR for home defense would be a terrible idea for me. i have an AR9 with a 10.5" barrel and shockwave brace with a light that i can manipulate with my support hand. loaded with hollow points so hopefully it won't penetrate a neighbors house. it takes glock mags so i have 31 rounds of 124 gr hollow points (i think they're sig sauer brand). i have a bushnell TRS on it right now, but i'm shopping around for a unit that will stay on all the time. once the kids are out of daycare it'll be getting a suppressor.

Inside the house, I'm thinking a .300 BLK pistol probably won't be beat. If you have a can, run subs, and you don't have to worry about going deaf if you ever need to use it. Not to mention you're hitting the target with essentials a .45 ACP. Get some Lehigh defense , you'll be set... it's probably the easiest cartridge I've loaded for and one lb of powder goes a LONG ways!

Very basic 5.56 pistol.
20200318_075809.jpg

i live in a neighborhood, a rifle caliber AR for home defense would be a terrible idea for me. i have an AR9 with a 10.5" barrel and shockwave brace with a light that i can manipulate with my support hand. loaded with hollow points so hopefully it won't penetrate a neighbors house. it takes glock mags so i have 31 rounds of 124 gr hollow points (i think they're sig sauer brand). i have a bushnell TRS on it right now, but i'm shopping around for a unit that will stay on all the time. once the kids are out of daycare it'll be getting a suppressor.

You may want to watch some drywall tests with rifle rounds vs handgun rounds. Typically rifles stop far sooner than handgun rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.