Hollow points

mudman02

I’ve got some 30 cal. Hollow points, I’ve had for years, they are game kings so I know I can hunt with them, but I’ve always been worried about hunting with them and didn’t know how they would do. Does anyone have real life tells about them ? I thank you for your time

mudman02

I’ve got some 30 cal. Hollow points, I’ve had for years, they are game kings so I know I can hunt with them, but I’ve always been worried about hunting with them and didn’t know how they would do. Does anyone have real life tells about them ? I thank you for your time
They are 165 grain

cohunt

Basically there are 4 types of bullets.
Solid lead,, Cup/core, bonded, and monolithic.
The game king is a cup/core bullet. Hunt with it like any other cup/core and they work just fine.

Here is a description direct from their web page
Screenshot_20211013-065458_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

Critter Picker

I was going to try them a couple of years ago, because I had such great results with the .243 85 GK. But alas I was waiting for a sale. Some of you might remember when the major suppliers would get a huge shipment of bullets and have a sale. I would buy a years supply and get them for 1 shipping fee. There was even a choice of different diameter and weight projectiles in stock. Ah, the good old days!

Quintus

I have used them in the 300 bee and they performed nicely. They actually have a little stouter jacket than the soft points and produced nice 1.5" exits on whitetails big and small. The one 165 Gameking soft point I used from the bee left more of an 8ish inch exit.

del2les

I shot a lot of these decades ago, and from our 30-06's/308's, they worked very well on Eastern/Southern Whitetails. Not the highest of BC's, but at the shorter ranges, they will perform. Slightly more accurate than the 165BTSP, but only slightly for us.

nwhunter

Some 35 years ago started using the Sierra 165 gr HPBT game king in a 30-06 I put together on a fn Mauser as a light weight hunting rifle. Put a compact 6x Leopold on it and all in it weighs just under 8lbs. I loaded up 50 grains of imr 4064 and it shot 1" groups and still use the same load today. I have killed a big horn sheep here in Oregon, caribou in Alaska and at more mule deer than I can remember here in Oregon and in Idaho. I have been switching over to hammer bullets in some of my rifles but I doubt I will change over that Mauser 30/06 as long as I can keep finding those sierra 165 hpbt bullets.
I didn't draw a mule deer tag here in Oregon this year and that old 30/06 is getting its chance on blacktail deer.
Load those sierras and you'll be glad you did.
My gun is zeroed at 300 yards and works well out to 500, I know I have taken mule deer at that distance.

Recent Posts