Holland's Muzzle Brake

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
Holland\'s Muzzle Brake

I'm about to have installed a Muzzle Brake and would like to know anyones experiance with the Holland Muzzle Brake. Recoil reduction, noise level etc.
I was attracted to the Answer, but it seams there is only one place in Canada where we can get it with difficulty, so I have to look at other options.

Re: Holland\'s Muzzle Brake

I personally feel the Holland Quick Discharge brake is the best all around big game brake on the market. They are compact, extremely effective at reducing recoil and eliminate muzzle jump.

noise wise, any baffle style brake will increase noise but they are also much more effecient at reducing recoil them other styles so it is a trade off in my opinion.

These are the first brakes I recommend to my customers and the only brake I personally use in the field.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen (50)

I second what Kirby said. I had him install one on my 300 RUM, man I was glad I did that. It had the recoil of a .270 and the noise was not nearly what I expected. I have read over and over how loud brakes are, not these ones...

I would like to finalize the motion. Holland QD all the way. The only thing is I can't tell if theres a noise increase since when I down game out in the field, I'd swear my rifle doesn't make any noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif They say thats adrenaline though.

Ronnie

I agree with all the above. Have tried others but will only use the Holland's now.

As far as noise, the shooter will not notice much more unless it is shot under a covered area but then everyone gets a good rattle. but normally only those standing to the sides of the shooter will hear and possibly feal the effects of your brake.

In fact I like the Holland Brake so much I had Fiftydriver install them on my daughters and my new rifles.

Good Luck,
Ben

Near Manufacturing If you have trouble getting the work done you might use these people, Try Richard. The only brakes I use are the Vias, so I have no experience with any of the others. You might want to e-mail them and ask. I'm sure the Holland is good, in-fact my only concern when choosing a break is, that it doesn't hurt the accuracy.

I have Vais on all of mine too.
FWIW I have always been pleased with Richard's work.

Ernie

I have one Holand's brake on a 340 Ackley with a 26" barrel , it was a beast before the brake and now its very manageable about that of a warm 30-06. Noise its loud for sure but I can't see where its any louder has a bit different sound a little higher pitch I guess.
I also have a custom JP style brake made up for this gun and its alot more effective as to reduce the recoil but its a hell of alot bigger and kinda ugly and definatly louder but the recoil is about that of a 308.

I guess it all depends on what you want , I feel that all brakes are gonna be a bit louder it all depends on how much recoil you can get away with

I have just tried a Holland installed by none other than Kirby Allen and this thing flat out reduces recoil! I have steped up thirty grains in bullet weight and still have less recoil than the lighter bullet I was shooting. I will definitly be using more of them!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just remember that for a break to actually work it has to direct gases against a surface that is perpendicular to the bore so that the effecet of the gasses hitting the perpendicular surface overcomes the tendency of the gun to move reward under recoil. The more of the gasses you can direct against a surface that is perpendicular to the bore the more the brake will negate the effects of the gun recoiling to the rear when fired.

When these gasses are redirected from the normal forward direction and used for braking the more of the "muzzle blast" you will hear because it no longer goes forward but out to the side and to the rear. The more of the total gasses you direct outward and reward, the louder the gun will sound to you when fired, but the more effective it will be at reducing felt recoil.

I'd say that if a brake is "quieter" than another unit that the quieter brake wasn't as effective. If you don't hear an increase if noise then the gasses are still going forward and aren't being used to lessen the recoil. This is only my opinion because I have never tried two different brakes on the same gun.

Like Kirby mentioned above, the Holland is also effective, because of the holes on top, at reducing muzzle lift when firing. Another thing about the Holland design is that it's very effective at recoil reduction but, since there are no holes on the bottom of the brake, there is never any dust blown up when you shoot prone, like there is on models that have holes all the way around and on the bottom.

I do have a Holland QD brake on a Weatherby 7mm mag and it now seems to me like it's about like shooting a 243 win. It now just gives a little nudge rearward and stays right down on the bipod or bags. I can now spot my own hits from 100 yards on out. I wear hearing protection whenever I shoot, in fact when I'm hunting I have a pair of plugs around my neck to use.

I am having a custom gun built and it will have a Holland QD brake on it. Obviously it's not because the Holland is cheaper because the brake will be about the lowest price item used in the gun and the cost of the break becomes a non-issue. It's going on because I think it works better.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.