hogs

I must be old school because my favorite knife I have is an old rust pitted blade that I found along side the road in a farmers field when I was young. It has it's case and little stone and I have used it from deer, elk, pigs. I like it and it was any where from 150-375dollares cheaper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

screech i still have a couple of knifes from when i was a kid one of them a ka-bar like the marines used. I wouldnt trade it for anything worked all weekend tearing down a barn for my dads boss back then when i was 9 to earn the money to buy it now i like to collect them these are a couple of bowies
hog008.jpg

stxhunter,

Thats a good haul of hogs you got there buddy congrats.

NYLES,

Read about you having to haul those hogs and couldnt help but relate. Here in Hawaii we dont have to much access so we pack the hogs out of the forest. Below is a pick of my son with a 150# boar (dressed weight). They caught it in the back of the valley in the background.
339936.jpg

Aloha!!!

i dont think i'd carry one of our hogs on my back. there covered with ticks lice and fleas here i'd have to drag them this last bunch didnt have fleas though. I gutted some hogs with so many fleas i was picking them off me for hours.

stxhunter- Same deal here less the flea's. They do have ticks galore though although when they are healthy and fat they have very little to no lice. Its such a part of our culture that we dont pay it no mind at all. I must say though that it feels pretty freaky when you feel them crawling on your head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Have a great day!!!

What is the guy's name that makes and sells the knife through ebay? Handsome knife! Don't know if I would let it touch a stinky old, flea and tick riddled feral hog though...Loved seeing your pictures with son there with you!

we where useing corn the trap has four square tube doors that hang down the hogs can push them in and up to get in but they can't open back the other way so even after one hog goes in others can follow i know guys who use the same setup but larger and they will keep a sow in the trap to get more hogs to come in

Talking about skinning pigs. My ex father law taught me to skin them just like you skin anything else. Hang by back legs and start skinning the only thing was is it was more of a scrape then a slice with the knife. It really taught you how to skin with out cutting the hide. It takes alot more time then skinning anything else that's for sure.

Tom P. in Evant, Texas, my ranch neighbor, skins his hogs by first hanging them up, making a one inch slit on the top just forward of the tail, sticking 150 pound shop air hose into the slit on a long air needle and inflating them. Pulls the skin right off the meat. Craziest thing I ever saw but works very well!

I use a diamond blade knife. Costly but works quite well on these pigs and goes quite a ways before dulling. Then I send them back to Denton, Texas where they make'm and they put on another edge for me for the cost of shipping back and forth.

www.diamondbladeknives.com

D2SteelAugs

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.