hogs

stxhunter

got my work cut out for me this evening my brothers buddy stop by our ranch this morning to check the hog trap got eight of them in there i'll post pics when i get back tonight

That's alot of hog's... I got to where I am just quartering them there as they lay. Throw the leg quarters in the cooler and go & don't forget the back strap. I know that the tender loin is one of the best parts, but I'd rather not have to gut the hog. I guess I'm getting old/lazy. Sure does save time and sharp knives.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

here are the pics didnt get there till after dark my camera doesnt do to well at night but
hog004.jpg
the kids had fun since they got to stay up late on a school night [image] http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w133/rogerhunter43/hog006.jpg[/image]
hog002.jpg
hog005.jpg
my hunting and fishing buddy davy he can fish hes got five state records and one igfa record
hog006.jpg

spino you need to try one of these stek knifes i cleaned all five of the hogs we keep with out having to touch up the edge he's from montana sells them on ebay there really beutiful knifes i got two others but there in the safe
hog.jpg

Its fun youll love it!

Do you ever use a box cutter and skin your hogs in strips? heres what I did to those in the pics

Hang by nose on tractor boom

cut all the way around neck through the fat to meat

start center of spine cut straight down all the way to the tail and do this in 2 or 3 inch strips till hide is gone make cuts deep enough to get to meat....only thing is you get no bacon!

only way I know to skin one....G-pa has a boiling pot but ive never seen it used....

Is there a better way?

i called the processor and she opened up for me to drop them off at 10:45pm they will get cut up and wraped thats the easyest way i know of doing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd like to rephrase my previous entry by saying that I don't skin the hogs at all. I cut the quarters off with skin. It's very easly done especially the front quarters, then all you have to do is remove the skin from them later. The rear quarters are a little tricky, but after a few tries it get easy too. First cut along the side to seperated the loose skin that connect the hind leg to the side(carefull not to poke the gut). Once you have done this just foll down close to where the bone socket is. This will be "key" once you find the socket cut through the middle of it's and it's all down hill from there. With a little help you can have all 4 quarters off in less than 5min. (really). Again once you have cut the loose skin on the sides to free the quarters, then just pull the legs out as far as you can..... I've taught my friends how to do this and they all love it. One day out hunting I went to pick up one of my friends from his blind. He was not @ the blind. He came out of the brush about 100yds down the sendero with gun sling stapped over his shoulders and pork quarters resting on his shoulders also.. Neat sight.. my 2bits...

I actually hauled the red one in the truck about 3/4 of a mile whole and the black on came by me on the way out so I hauled her about a 1/2 mile....wHILE ON THE OTHER BUGGY i HAD A SEVEN PNT MY dAD HAD KILLED hauled that about 3/4 mile and a doe my nephew killed about a 1/4 mile 2 buggies 2 hogs 2 deer one trip....man I was tired!

I promise the next one is either suitcase size or gets quatered on the spot and hauled out in a backpack!

that knife is 1095 high carbon spring tool steel he also uses 360 layer damascus which are what my other two are made of look him up on ebay stek knifes he has all his info on his about me page i paid 150 for that knife and up to 375 for one of the others

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.