Hogs starting to move in

The sows go into heat every 3 months/3 weeks/3 days (their gestation cycle) that's why they are so hard to eradicate. Also why the early explorers brought them to the New World so there would be an abundant food source when they returned.
Shooting them is fun, but traps and dogs are the best methods to try and control them.

As it said a few hogs are starting to move in on me and my neighbor. Our plan is the same as everyone else's to kill them out before they populate. I can see the spot they visit from my yard. I was thinking about putting some corn soaked in fuel for bait. The shot will be no farther than 800 yards so hitting them should be easy. Are they hard to get rid of if you get started right away?
If you get ready to trap look into the "Pig Brig " . Hearing good reports from my neighbors.

I posted something about this once before on this forum but it's worth repeating for those who like to hunt hogs. No argument about traps being better than hunting but neither one will eradicate them. The hardest thing about hunting hogs is their unpredictability and that they don't stick around long unless there's something to eat. Unlike deer, they don't seem to get used to when feeders go off so you never really know when they'll show up.

Years ago, we started placing 'hog barrels' near our feeders. When we're specifically trying to bag some hogs, we'll pour 50-100 lbs of corn in the barrel and give them a day or two to get used to it paying off. Once a sounder hits the barrel, they'll stay there sometimes for hours. I've seen one sounder come in and run off another one to get at the barrel. We have pictures of big boars even humping the barrel. Another advantage (aside from keeping them there longer and often into the daylight) is that they can't get much corn out at any one time, it just trickles out as they roll the barrel. My only advice is to make sure the barrel and cable/chain is sturdy and can rotate freely. You'd be amazed at the cables and chains they've broken when big boars roll it around and the cable gets bound up. To help prevent this, we run the chain or cable through a piece of conduit and attach it to a metal ring that sits over the tee post. Some of my hunters use open top drums. I prefer closed tops even though they're more challenging to build. I just keep a traffic cone near each one and turn it upside down to use as a funnel when filling with corn. They can be quite a mess though when it rains as you can see. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• 01040634.JPG
    01040634.JPG
    996.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7795.JPG
    IMG_7795.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_7891.JPG
    IMG_7891.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7892.JPG
    IMG_7892.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8049.JPG
    IMG_8049.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
The reproduction rate makes it hard to control the population. You may never eradicate them and others can move in as you are experiencing. Trapping them might be your best early solution to reduce the population. It is certainly more efficient and does not seem to overeducate the pigs like shooting at them does. Plus traps are active 24 by 7. Be sure to have a plan for your trapped pigs.
DO NOT Relocate them !!! That only spreads the problem.
But shoot as many as you can; use a suppressor if possible.
Hog specific poisons are being developed.
Split piglets barbeque pretty good on a standard grill... Better than chicken!

We have trapped, daylight ground shot, thermal ground shot and helicopter shot, hundreds if not a thousand or more in the last 3 or 4 years, the numbers never seem to diminish. They may not come back for a while after you've shot up the herd, but they will eventually come back. Killed the most with traps and helicopters. Helicopter is the most fun by far but the most expensive by far

I have seen ads for hog hunting. They charge for the hunt, plus trophy fees for bigger hogs. I have since learned that they buy trapped hogs and turn them loose so they have hogs to shoot. Until those "game" farms are reeled in, hogs will never be eradicated. I keep hearing about how much damage feral hogs do. If I was a land owner and want to eradicate hogs, I would give carte blanch to genuine respectable hunters who want to hunt them for the meat. I also think that any one who plants hogs that stray off their property and cause damage should be responsible for that damage. I have always wanted to go hog hunting, but I can buy a lot of pork from Sam's for what it would cost for a hog "hunt". I love to hunt, but I don't have a blood lust. I would just like to harvest some quality meat.

I have seen ads for hog hunting. They charge for the hunt, plus trophy fees for bigger hogs. I have since learned that they buy trapped hogs and turn them loose so they have hogs to shoot. Until those "game" farms are reeled in, hogs will never be eradicated. I keep hearing about how much damage feral hogs do. If I was a land owner and want to eradicate hogs, I would give carte blanch to genuine respectable hunters who want to hunt them for the meat. I also think that any one who plants hogs that stray off their property and cause damage should be responsible for that damage. I have always wanted to go hog hunting, but I can buy a lot of pork from Sam's for what it would cost for a hog "hunt". I love to hunt, but I don't have a blood lust. I would just like to harvest some quality meat.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hello good people, have some friends here in Florida, when they see a new area they moved into they take about 25 pounds of corn and a bottle of the cheapest bourbon you can get, let it soak a few days stirring it a couple times. Good luck, love the hog hunting..

This was a "thing" back in the early 90s. If you get caught releasing live hogs from a trap in Texas now..... law enforcement is the least of your worries.

Recent Posts