Hogs starting to move in

Fariss

As it said a few hogs are starting to move in on me and my neighbor. Our plan is the same as everyone else's to kill them out before they populate. I can see the spot they visit from my yard. I was thinking about putting some corn soaked in fuel for bait. The shot will be no farther than 800 yards so hitting them should be easy. Are they hard to get rid of if you get started right away?

I've had hog problems the last 40+ years. The state of Texas borders me on 2 sides and highways on the other 2 for about 30 of those. Having 20 sections to cover in a hill covered area makes it difficult to eradicate. Their gestation period is 3 or 4 times a year. Taking out the females is more important than the males. Moving traps can help. The largest group I've seen at 1 time was over 100. 20 to 30 has been more of an average lately. If there is peanuts or soybeans the hogs will be there! My dad and I hunted them by helicopter (he flew) and I was in the gunners door. FUN days! We did this days on end and it changed nothing on population. I would shoot 10+ a day and only had 2 30rnd mags. In Kansas (?) several years back the military had issues with hogs being on base and went full auto on them. I guess no warthogs were available?

Last edited:
Dogs and modern traps are more effective than shooting. This is from one who has been eradicating them for over a decade. I personally not a fan of hog dogging. Due to them never staying in the area you want. But they are effective in keeping them off an area for about 5-9 months. Once scared off.

Dogs and modern traps are more effective than shooting. This is from one who has been eradicating them for over a decade. I personally not a fan of hog dogging. Due to them never staying in the area you want. But they are effective in keeping them off an area for about 5-9 months. Once scared off.
Agree 100%
They will be back

Does the lion/coyote population increase with feral hogs present? I realize hogs can out-breed predators but seem like their only natural predators would feed on these pigs.
Bet they would without hunting pressure. 3 years ago a hunter in some sort of contest hunted coyotes on the dairy that borders my place. Killed 24 in 2 nights I haven't seen or herd one to this day. I see many more deer and rabbits than before.

I dealt with hogs when I lived on 200 acres in far north Texas. I learned a few things... don't put out feed to attract them. It's fun to shoot hogs, but you won't reduce the population by any significant degree. Unlike deer, you shoot at hogs a few times and they'll leave your place, and may be gone a few weeks, but they'll be back. I never tried trapping and killing, but it seems like it would be more effective than shooting untrapped hogs. Short of a hog epidemic, it's hard to imagine a really effective way of getting rid of them.

After attending a seminar and slide show presentation by a government hunter years ago, I'd never eat wild hog meat again. They can carry lots of foul diseases and they eat dead stuff. Sure, cooking can kill most or all that's dangerous to humans, but the thought of eating the meat of such a nasty critter doesn't sound very appetizing.

Recent Posts