Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Mr. Moa

I got woke up this morning (Veterans Day) by an ungodly racket outside my window at what seemed like Oh-dark thirty. Got dressed went outside and the guy that trims my trees semi-annually was trimming up a couple of Mesqute tree's in my backyard. (Damned HOA) Known each other for years and during the "how you doing" type discussion he mentioned thaty he had almost lost a leg about 2 months earlier. Seems he had a spring limb bounce back and knock his chainsaw into his leg. I checked him out, wasn't walking on a Peg leg or anything, so asked what happened.

He walked over to his truck and brought out a pair of what they call Chainsaw pants. Pants were cut through about 3 out of 5 layers of Kevlar and other reinforcement, and he said that he was wearing a pair right now. Asked if they were expensive, he said about $80.00 and were made by Husquevarna (Probably mispelled) and were worth every dime.

He finished up and left and I got to thinking so went online and sure enough, Amazon had them on sale for $60.00 + shipping. Now about 8-10 years ago, I had a leathersmith in San Antonio make my up a set of custom chaps out of what he called "1/4 " Polished Leather" strictly for tracking wounded hogs in the brush and they cost me about $200.00 back then. Not only that, but they didn't break in for several years and are still a little stiff, mainly because they don't get used enough.

If I was going hunting hogs with a rim fire or actually, any other weapon, I think I would have a pair of these "Chainsaw Pants" available becasue sooner or later a shot is going to get missed and someone is going to have to track the hog down. I don't know if they would protect against Hogs, but if they will stop a running Chainsaw blade to a dead stop, I would think they could stop a hog slash. Guess I live a protected life, because I had never heard of these pants before. Hell, I may be the only one in LRH that's not wearing them!...LOL

Ordered me a pair and am going to try them, however since I only go hunting about twice to three times a year, it will be a while before I can test them and it may be years before I get into a position to see if they work. Hopefully never!

What we need is someone with a lot of hogs available, like djones, to test them for us and see if they work

How about it djones, I'll buy them for you if you'll let one of your BIG hogs take a slash at you!...:D Providing of course that they make waist sizes that big...ROFL.

Seriously, would not hunt hogs with a rimfire without some kind of insurance in case I had to track em down or go in after them. And if I was hunting hogs with a Bow, would definitely be wearing a pair full time when on the ground. Can't hurt, may help, and are relatively cheap insurance.

Just my thoughts!

Bruce
In the ear, right!
Sharp Shooter.gif................................................. Pig.gif

I don't body shoot hogs with a rf any more but I have killed 200lb hogs with a double lung shot behind the shoulder but they are hard to find since you will not pass through the opposite shoulder reliably and no blood trail though they seldom go more than a couple hundred yds if you find them .
So now I try for the ear eye area and in the event his head is behind something obscuring the eye-ear , a well placed shot 3-4" below the top of the back behind the shoulder will drop one like a sack of s#$%. Hogs in the 50lb range shoot 2-3" . Now the pig will be very alive but immobile, a quick finishing shot is necessary.
I clued in on this bow hunting hogs years ago when I miss judged distance and dropped a large one and as they say the rest is history
Here in Louisiana most all of our WMA's are fairly dense forest and 75yds is a long shot with 40 or so being the norm. A 40 gr. solid from a 22lr will handle any of the for mentioned shots with the effeteness as the magnum rimfire's in it effective range , after a shot between the ear and eye results in bang flop!

Oh hell... why not!.. Has anyone shot a hog with an Aguila 60gr SSS .22 rf?? Just had to ask.
I've actually shot a couple of Yotes with them around the house, when I was living in Idaho, and was rather surprised at how well they killed them, they were both under 80 yards. I used a Ruger 10/22 with a 1-9 barrel.
Cheer's

ive actually been using my 17 bmag exclusively for hog hunting on wma even now during general gun season. ill save the 223 for deer, but I hardly see any deer. I do a lot of walking / biking on each hunt - about 8 miles total. the rimfire is much lighter to carry. the picture was from just before thanksgiving this year.

Attachments

• hog.JPG
    hog.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 141
Why/How so? IMHO, the .17 HMR is more accurate at any range than the .22 WHR. I own both. So show me? I've taken a fair amount of game far in excess of 200 yds. Tell me I can do the same with any 22, including .223. I don't believe it, yes we shoot the .223 also, it does NOT group as tight as the seventeen at any range.

Wow... Gp cobb... I have to disagree with the statement above regarding 17hmr vs .223 accuracy. I've got both and though I think the 17 hmr is a neat little round, the .223 is no slouch when it comes to accuracy. Here's my most recent 200 yard group using cheap American Eagle 50gr varmint tips, and this is with a DPMS Sweet 16 semi auto.

image.jpg

Both my savage hog hunter and DPMS will consistently perform in the .3x" range at 100 yards... And stay at a little over 1/2" at 200.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.