Hogs - No longer Nocturnal !?!

geo4061

Hogs that were nocturnal in March are now totally diurnal. Yes, that's right a creature of the day. What is going on? We had a great night hunt in central Texas the first of March using thermals. I had an opportunity to go again a couple of weeks ago. Since it was a short trip we did not rent thermals and boy were we glad we didn't. This trip the cameras showed the hogs were not out after dark. Where before they were mostly out after dark. This trip they hit the feeders as soon as they went off day time. The trip before they waited until after dark. Why the change? Have you experienced this?

Last edited:
They are much smarter than most animals! smarter than dogs.
Pigs are actually considered the fifth-most intelligent animal in the world—even more intelligent than dogs—and are capable of playing video games with more focus and success than chimps! They also have excellent object-location memory.

I'm curious about your source on that (pigs are the fifth smartest animal). I've been around both species a lot, and from experience, I have to disagree.

I suspect pig intellect is greatly exaggerated by animal rights groups and Hollywood. For example, in the filming of Babe I believe 49 different pigs were used, and each was capable of learning 1 'trick'.

Obviously they have the ability to learn, but compare a mob of hogs to a pack of wolves. Or a domestic hog to a domestic dog. Look at respective brain sizes. Now, I'm not a doctor or a psychologist, just a redneck in Canada, but that's my experience!

Whitetail deer can learn, and even get pretty smart. Would you consider a deer intelligent? They have a brain about the size of a pigs.

Interesting thread. I don't mean to be argumentative, just thought I'd put it out there.

Fair enough man. Afterall, my redneck experience is anecdotal at best! :D

It's pretty hard arguing with the 'omnipotent' Google.

Just sharing an alternate point of view, as it relates to hunting. Maybe pigs can play video games better than dogs - that doesn't really interest me. Im happy to disagree harmoniously, again, just putting it out there. I have raised and hunted both species and my experience has been contrary to popular belief.

I'm not the only one who feels this way;

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2011/08/20/of-pig-brains-and-tea-cups/

Personally I believe its PETA and Disney who want us to think pigs are smart, but it's just a theory! :cool:

Last edited:
They are much smarter than most animals! smarter than dogs.
Pigs are actually considered the fifth-most intelligent animal in the world—even more intelligent than dogs—and are capable of playing video games with more focus and success than chimps! They also have excellent object-location memory.

I've read the same thing in several sources.

Pigs, deer, and coyotes out smart me nearly every time I get to go to the woods. So as bad as I hate to admit it I am the one feeling a lack of intelligence.
Glad someone stepped up to that before I did....just goes to show Geo...that i was smarter than you.....puts me in second or first place......behind a deer, hog or coyote.....but just ahead of you......

I don't know how smart they are compared to other animals, But they are smart and do learn form there encounters fast.

like most animals, they don't have a lot of other things to worry about except how fast they can run, sex, and their next meal. this leaves lots of room in their brain to learn about danger. Man is their only real predator and they learn our habits just like we learn theirs.

If they changed their habits, it is probably because of the hunting pressure or there food supply has became scarce. and the feeders are their only easy source for the time being. They breed 3 times a year so sex is not a problem for them :eek:

We hunt hogs year round and have to change up the way and time often.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
20190405_095138233.jpeg

Date and time is correct. These were nocturnal 2 months before. My wife shot the redish hog under the feeder one month after this game camera photo was taken in the afternoon...4:30ish. It weighed about 80 lbs live weight. The next time they came to the feeder was 9:45pm.

I sat the feeder with our night vision one night roughly a month after they started coming in after 9pm...they still were waiting till almost 10pm to come to the feeder.

It was the first time I had watched hogs with NV, so I ended up not shooting. It was a 50yd chip shot, but I was playing with different things to see how it worked on live critters.

By the end of turkey season they still had not returned in the day light...they train pretty quickly...and these are not much, if at all over 1yo!