HOG vs. .308 WIN

Red Neck

I was invited to go saturday on a feral Hog hunt around Huston TX. I will be using a .308 shooting Federal Gold Medal 175gr JHPBT bullets. How far can I take a Feral Hog and where should I shoot him. This is my first Hog hunt but I have been out to this particular lease many times for duck season.(Posibility for some Long Shots!) He uses a 300 Win Mag and says the average shot is taken at 200 Yards. If I get one I will post pic's apon my return.
grin.gif

200 to 300 yards with a .308 is plenty of gun. Actually, I believe you would be fine for double that. Plural cavity shot.

I look forward to seeing your pics.

Russ

Feral hogs or Russians?

I've shot hogs in Texas a few times and I initially used the double-lung shot but have switched to the shoulder. I've shot a few through the lungs and the round actually blew fat and pieces of bone out of the critter and the things run off and disappear. The Russians are VERY TOUGH and seem to tolerate lung shots very well. Shoulder shots are pretty good and anchor them quite well but there is generally some flopping involved. I just came back from a trip and the fella with me shot some, he was truly amazed at the toughness of those hogs. Hogs don't seem to bleed well, I guess the fat clogs the exit wound. The only shot I take now is the standard, dangerous game, shoulder shot (on adult hogs).

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.