Hog Taxidermy Price?

DoneNOut

Shot me a nice boar. There's a post about it, lol. Anywho, I took it to a very well known taxidermist.

Shoulder mount:
$1195 for hide
$595 for open mouth
$250 for Euro skull mount

Having a tough time swallowing these prices. What you all think?

Last edited:
Shot me a nice boar. There's a post about it, lol. Anywho, I took it to a very well known taxidermist.

Shoulder mount:
$1195 for hide
$595 for open mouth
$295 for euro skull.

Unless it is a really beautiful or ugly head with big tusks I would just do a euro mount and put a picture of you and it next to it.
I'll PM you on the Euro-easy to do. Done many.

Lena & Jill

That's high. Order some of those beetles for $10 and leave it in a 5gal bucket for a month or 2. Or hang it from a tree for a year.

My prices around here are $50 for a euro Mount and $250-500 for a shoulder Mount depending on the options

Fur-on mounts are a long term maintenance item. I don't like them. $300 for someone to drop it in a bucket full of dermestid beetles and then not even screw it onto a plaque seems high. If they're including the plaque then it better be made out of presentation grade burled unobtainium wood. $300 is what I paid for a euro mount of a Kudu skull in South Africa and included the export paperwork and crating and delivery to a friend of mine in SA that lived 300km away from the taxidermist. Your taxidermist is either an artist of the highest caliber or sees you as a mark. I predict the latter.

Fur-on mounts are a long term maintenance item. I don't like them. $300 for someone to drop it in a bucket full of dermestid beetles and then not even screw it onto a plaque seems high. If they're including the plaque then it better be made out of presentation grade burled unobtainium wood. $300 is what I paid for a euro mount of a Kudu skull in South Africa and included the export paperwork and crating and delivery to a friend of mine in SA that lived 300km away from the taxidermist. Your taxidermist is either an artist of the highest caliber or sees you as a mark. I predict the latter.
He has the best reputation in IL and that is why I went to him. 20yrs of shooting hogs and I decided to have at least one big boar mounted. The hunts were free this whole time, so I guess that helps me justify this. Lol. He said the skull is warranted not to yellow. I don't know if that is something he has control over.

Unless it is a really beautiful or ugly head with big tusks I would just do a euro mount and put a picture of you and it next to it.
I'll PM you on the Euro-easy to do. Done many.

Lena & Jill

1B954859-FD7C-493D-913E-CF6C1232422F.jpeg

48AB22BE-45CE-4AE7-AD12-618257FD0317.jpeg
515ED5F1-973A-4066-8E59-8CE7A63B39F0.jpeg

Yup, kinda pretty ugly with a 3 Tusker one side.

Shoulder mount:
$1195 for hide
$595 for open mouth

Spent 125$ on euro deer head last fall. Hog shouldn't be much more, depending on size. Imho

Shoulder mount:
$1195 for hide
$595 for open mouth

There are plenty of great Taxidermists in Southern Illinois
who can make you a great shoulder mount of the boar's head for $600 to $800.

Ask around down in Fulton, Pike, and Adams County who is recommended.

Shoulder mount:
$1195 for hide
$595 for open mouth

Cannot value your $1,195 for the hide, but your other two prices are not too far off the market - at least for a good mount. The last thing you want to do is to pay cheap and get cheap.