Hog Saddle

If recoil affected poi how could you shoot very small groups? The bullet is out of the barrel before the rifle moves from recoil. The recoil moves about 60 mph and the bullet moves about 2,000 mph. Has anyone ever used a Caldwell Lead Sled?

The tripod that holds the rifle rigid makes it much easier to hold your cross hair still without jumping all over the place. There is another type that holds the forearm and has another brace that is attached to the rear leg of the tripod up to the bottom of the rifle stock which actually works easier when adjusting the reticule to your target.

gt40
I'm sorry but that simply is not true.

Recoil begins the second the bullet separates from the case. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The bulk of the noticeable recoil comes from the rocket motor effect when the bullet exits the barrel, but indeed there is movement before the bullet leaves the barrel.

POI can vary a good deal from one shooting position to the next and/or from one hold to the next for that reason.

We've had some very good threads on managing recoil here over the years.

Well proof is in the pudding here is my son's buck he took yesterday off the pig saddle at 340 yards "one and done" with an smr 300 norma mag.

Pretty effective tool if you practice and understand how to use it. Point of aim is not affected as much as you would think. We have used it out to 800 and with practice it is completely possible. Very good option if you can't get prone.

Attachments

• PART_1413501069151_PART_1413501067082_20141016_170715.jpg
    PART_1413501069151_PART_1413501067082_20141016_170715.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 55
Well proof is in the pudding here is my son's buck he took yesterday off the pig saddle at 340 yards "one and done" with an smr 300 norma mag.

Pretty effective tool if you practice and understand how to use it. Point of aim is not affected as much as you would think. We have used it out to 800 and with practice it is completely possible. Very good option if you can't get prone.
Excellent.

Do you clamp the rifle down tight in the pig saddle or allow it to slide during recoil?

Nice job! Don't doubt that it works, just curious how shooting off of it compares to shooting off bags or a bipod. Same reason I don't have any interest in the lead sleds.

Clamped down gently the tripod has enough rear movement to absorb the recoil and if you run your sling through the legs you can create a very stable platform..everyone knows prone is king but getting prone is just not always possible.

Jordan@406

Clamped down gently the tripod has enough rear movement to absorb the recoil and if you run your sling through the legs you can create a very stable platform..everyone knows prone is king but getting prone is just not always possible.

Jordan@406
Prone is easy at the range, it is pretty rare in the field unless you are hunting the edges of big fields.

I'm just thinking that a loose mount would be far less damaging potentially to the tripod and allow for better follow up.

We used to use a similar rig but it did not clamp down, it was just sort of a wide U well padded which allows for nearly free recoil.

I've done some digging online and of course something very similar is now available commercially.

Precision Rifle Systems has a pretty reasonably priced tripod/head/rest combo they are marketing that I may have to give a whirl.
IMG_2132-3.JPG

Photo Gallery - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC

Precision Rifle Systems has a pretty reasonably priced tripod/head/rest combo they are marketing that I may have to give a whirl.
IMG_2132-3.JPG

Photo Gallery - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC

I have been using one of these on either the medium or heavy duty tripod. Not too shabby. It's a pretty simple design, a machined aluminum head with a cover that velcros on. Then drilled and tapped on the bottom to screw in the tripod plate.

Pretty much all I ever shoot from:

Man that is some beautiful scenery!
Good bipod county.:D

Too bad I didn't have a bear tag: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1UFBU1_co&sns=em]Bear2014 - YouTube[/ame]

it's a Stony Point tripod with a Tag Along arm. I knew someone was going to point out the bipodiness of that spot :) most places I hunt are very rocky or covered in 4' tall brush.

Too bad I didn't have a bear tag: Bear2014 - YouTube

it's a Stony Point tripod with a Tag Along arm. I knew someone was going to point out the bipodiness of that spot :) most places I hunt are very rocky or covered in 4' tall brush.
Dang it, shoulda called me.... I do! That looks to be a very large black bear in a light color phase at least on the vid. Where was it?

Yep that's it, I've seen that set up before. I was afraid though that the downward pressure on the third leg coming from the rear yoke would make it too wobbly. I take it you aren't having that problem however.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.