Hog bait that squirrels (and deer, doves, etc.) don't like

uuolf

I've read a few articles on different types of diy stuff but wanted some real world input. I live in southwest Georgia and there are lots of hogs... But not too many in worth county... My FIL has property that periodically shows signs and I'd like to put something out that will attract them (on a more regular basis) If that's even possible. What do y'all use to bait traps and such? I see them hit on the side of the road once or twice a month so I know they're out there.

Corn works as well as anything I've tried. People have tried Kool-Aid mixes, corn fouled with yeast/beer/diesel, speciality liquids, and so on and so on. I've not seen anything that works better than corn.

Once you put our a reliable food source (corn from a timed feeder), they become "somewhat" predictable. Just keep feeding them corn, and your sightings should increase significantly.

I've got plenty of corn... And squirrels... Lol... Tree rats consumed a lot of it this year... Cam shots show the culprits. They even chewed through the solar cell cables on multiple occasions. Of course they filled the stew pot on numerous occasions also. I wondered if there is a mix that they DON'T like and hogs do like... Lol.

Sour the corn to keep everything out of it soak in water and the smell will bring them in. You can make a hog feeder from pvc chained off with small holes that corn fall out as the hogs roll it around.

Thanks

Buck
So like a 4 or 5 inch diameter PVC with a chain on the end... And holes big enough for the corn to kinda fall out a little at a time... How long works best? I mean do they tear it up if ya make it too long... Or are we talking drainage ditch PVC... Lol... I'm gett'n all these ideas now... I plan on taking most everyone's advice and making separate spreads to try this weekend... And leave the stuff out for a week with cams before I really hit it... Although it looks like they've been around his land recently... Like the last few days... Which would change my plans...My FIL just had neck surgery so I plan on checking on them every day... So this works out great... I look good taking care of fam and I get to use his feeders and land... Win win right... Lol

Last edited:
I put corn in a 5 gal bucket, fill it with water and let sit for about a week. Then pour it in my inground bait stations. Get a 10" PVC pipe about 18" long and burry in the ground standing up. Fill it with the fermented corn. The hogs come to eat, but only one can get their snouts in the pipe at a time. So they all stand around and then you pick the ones you want to shoot. If it is a Sow with a bunch of her litter, shoot her first then all the rest don't know what to do and can shoot a few of them.

Google "hog pipe"or dig a hole with post hole diggers 20ft away from your feeder as deep as you can. Pour in a bag or 2 of corn, top it off with a big soup can of powdered milk and 3-4 cans of big red soda. Back fill the hole with dirt and wait. The draw back of this method is that the hogs can access the bait 24-7 so a trail camera is necessary to pattern what times they are feeding. If a hog can feed at night.....they will!

In the summer when they go almost completely nocturnal I like having the feeder go off 1hr before sunrise and again 2hrs before sunset. That way the greedy and hungry ones have to stay up late or get up early to get to the corn and I don't have to sit in a blind fighting off mosquitoes all night.

I've read a few articles on different types of diy stuff but wanted some real world input. I live in southwest Georgia and there are lots of hogs... But not too many in worth county... My FIL has property that periodically shows signs and I'd like to put something out that will attract them (on a more regular basis) If that's even possible. What do y'all use to bait traps and such? I see them hit on the side of the road once or twice a month so I know they're out there.
Take a 2/3 bucket of corn, 1/2 a gallon of milk a jar of mayo fill it up with water put the lid on it leave it in the sun for a month, then dig a hole with post hole diggers approximately 18 inches to 24 inches deep fill it with that corn. It's called stink in a hole, they will smell it for miles or if you want to just put corn on the ground spray diesel fuel on the corn and hogs are the only thing that will eat it .