Hog bait that squirrels (and deer, doves, etc.) don't like

Very true. Another tip. Get a garden sprayer and fill it with diesel. If you kill one spray all the blood on the ground and the area around it. Otherwise it will be very difficult to kill another one there, at least before the next big rain
Pigs don't care about a pig being previously shot there. It is amazing how I've shot a pig in one spot and later that day others will come right back into the area even to the exact same spot. The only thing diesel will do if you spray the ground is kill the soil

OK - who has tried "PIG Oil"?

Amazon product ASIN B01H5OXKJQ

That's to sell, find a recipe for kool-aid corn and follow it.

If you don't have pigs, then avoid trying to attract them. They destroy way more than the enjoyment you will get from killing the first few, after that it becomes work and the fun soon departs.

That's to sell, find a recipe for kool-aid corn and follow it.

If you don't have pigs, then avoid trying to attract them. They destroy way more than the enjoyment you will get from killing the first few, after that it becomes work and the fun soon departs.

Ahahahah - We don't have a hog in the entire state so attracting them isn't something I do. Pig Oil appears to be an option for the original poster who asked about hog attractants that don't attract other critters. I haven't used Pig Oil but I've run into guys in Georgia that were using it.

This is not really a bait and can be expensive
Use a excavator and dig the hole with as square hole as possible,walls vertical and make a steep mound around and up to the hole
Feed the pigs up to the hole side
You may be surprised at the hogs that will fall in and are unable to escape
Dispatch them and backfill or use for future
Steep sides and vertical walls are the trick

Cows love Pig oil and some of the other commercial attractants! They will break down a fence to get to them! Most of them are sorghum molasses based. Once the other smell flashes off cows come running! Pigs do not like diesel sprayed corn. When the diesel flashed off they will eat it, but it does keep the coons off. We tested it on some feral pigs we caught. Do you want to attract pigs or attract them to shoot at? You better give them a time to be there when you are there also! Even with a timed broad cast feeder set at 9 PM they are coming at 10AM,2,4,6,10:30PM and 2 AM at my place! Dig a hole and put corn in it and see when they show up!

Even with a timed broad cast feeder set at 9 PM they are coming at 10AM,2,4,6,10:30PM and 2 AM at my place! Dig a hole and put corn in it and see when they show up!

I am not sure that digging the hole solves the timing issue. AFter they are done, then you have a hole larger than when you started that needs to be backfilled.

I am not sure that digging the hole solves the timing issue. AFter they are done, then you have a hole larger than when you started that needs to be backfilled.
The only benefit I've seen from digging a hole is that it takes longer for the hogs to get to the corn compared to if you just throw corn out on top of the ground.

When I was in South Carolina and had access to a 40 acre piece where the owner did not care what I did to kill hogs, I used post hole diggers to dig holes as deep as I could get into the ground. I would typically dig three holes somewhat near each other and fill them with corn. I would then place small logs over the holes so the hogs would have to work to get the corn. This setup would often keep the hogs on the corn for well over an hour, which was a lot longer than my spots where I just threw corn out on the ground.

While this can work well to keep hogs in a location for a longer period of time than they would normally would spend, it wreaks absolute destruction on the ground. The owner of the property used a backhoe to fill in the craters a few times a year, so it wasn't an issue for him as he just wanted the hogs to die.

Attachments

• IMG_5333.JPG
    IMG_5333.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have also used the barrel on a cable method
Set a center anchor point well anchored attach a secure cable and secure a drum or barrel with a small hole
Fill the barrel with corn and the hogs will roll the barrel with a small amount of feed is dispensed as they roll it around
The pigs will spend more time working for the feed and give you a better opportunity to shoot them
It doesn't take long to program the pigs for this to pay off

If you have p nut farmers around ask them for permission. I'm near the Savanah river and we are eat up with hogs. They can tear up acres of p nuts in 1 night if the sounder is big enough. I've put corn in a sealed bucket, added yeast and beer to speed things up. Let it sit in a warm area not too hot, that will kill the yeast. In a week or 10 days you have feed/attractant.
I personally think that pigs prefer p nuts over corn.

I agree, I killed 7 large hogs in one week from the same little stand with my recurve. I've killed them back to back many times like that. I had taken a mineral block and buried it about 6" deep and put Karo syrup and corn on top of it. There were blood trails every which way leading from that block. There was one large boar that would not come all the way in later in that week but he still got too close.
Many people don't realize it but hogs are actually attracted to diesel fuel, burnt oil, creosote, and the newer chemicals like those used to treat the bottom of light poles. They rub on the poles or chemical saturated areas to kill lice, mites, skin irritations, and other external parasites. How they know to do this or why they have that instinct I have no idea. My dad would always use balsam or myrrh, turpentine, diesel fuel, or kerosene on cuts on hogs and on me so I'm no stranger to home remedies, good or bad. Crazy thing is they worked. Hogs will frequent posts with a rubbing sock on it saturated with these materials and use them much like a domestic hog or cow in a pasture will. We would use wicks like this for cows with certain livestock treatments and many, many moons ago we would rig a post with a pieces of saturated fire hose nailed to them in the hog houses that we could pour burnt oil or medication on for the hogs to rub. They would wear those poles out.
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not advocating going into the woods and pouring diesel fuel or burnt oil or other chemicals on the ground. But hogs do use chemical treated light poles and posts as rubs. There are ways to accomplish doing this without doing damage to the environment or soil but you have to use your noggin a little to figure them out.

If you have p nut farmers around ask them for permission. I'm near the Savanah river and we are eat up with hogs. They can tear up acres of p nuts in 1 night if the sounder is big enough. I've put corn in a sealed bucket, added yeast and beer to speed things up. Let it sit in a warm area not too hot, that will kill the yeast. In a week or 10 days you have feed/attractant.
I personally think that pigs prefer p nuts over corn.
We used to soak oats in a barrel with a little bit of lye. I do not remember what the lye was for. Been about 40 years. We kept the mix wet and once it fermented we would feed it to our sows along with regular hog feed. They loved the fermented oats.

Hogs will frequent posts with a rubbing sock on it saturated with these materials and use them much like a domestic hog or cow in a pasture will.

Absolutely. I have shot hogs rubbing on telephone poles, twice I think, and a couple more after getting off the poles (had to wait for the hog to move off so as to not shoot the pole).

The problem with the 'attraction' aspect to it is that hogs will often readily bypass the poles if they don't have a need to rub on them. I hunt fields with telephones and they have 2 sets of rubs, hog level and cow level, but comparatively speaking, it is rare I see the pigs on the poles. Either they pass by the pole or rub briefly, then continue into the field where they may forage for hours. The pole seems to be more of a convenience feature like snacks out the counter of the hardware store. You didn't go into the hardware store for the snacks at the counter, but you grabbed a couple when paying for the new tools you came to buy.