Hog bait that squirrels (and deer, doves, etc.) don't like

Go clean out your local supermarket of rotting vegetables and fruits, they'll probably let you haul it off daily. Once the pigs find it, they'll beat everything to it.

Some old railroad ties and telephone poles for them to get the creosote off of is a magnet.
Cross ties chained to a tree has worked for us also.

You're in GA and don't have a hog problem on your land but want one? Hope none of your neighbors are farmers.

When my neighbors have problems I typically use a post hole digger and make a 12-18" hole and fill it with corn. Kick some dirt on it if you don't want the other critters in it. Hogs will fight over or feed from that hole and generally slowly spread the corn to feed with pretty limited area of destruction.

Just out of curiosity, what county?
Yep, once it starts it's hard to stop. I'd think through this.

I've never hunted diesel fed hogs but I've talked to guys that have been doing it for years. Some of these guys say that they have also been eating the diesel fed hogs for many years. Apparently, the diesel doesn't affect the taste of pig meat. They have also not experienced any ill effects from eating the hogs.

While I don't disbelieve them, there is just NO WAY I'm eating any animal that is eating diesel-soaked corn. And I sure wouldn't give that to my family either. I may be a bit squeamish about the things I'll eat, but eating diesel fed anything is out of the question. :eek: 🤣🤣🤣

I've never hunted diesel fed hogs but I've talked to guys that have been doing it for years. Some of these guys say that they have also been eating the diesel fed hogs for many years. Apparently, the diesel doesn't affect the taste of pig meat. They have also not experienced any ill effects from eating the hogs.

While I don't disbelieve them, there is just NO WAY I'm eating any animal that is eating diesel-soaked corn. And I sure wouldn't give that to my family either. I may be a bit squeamish about the things I'll eat, but eating diesel fed anything is out of the question. :eek: 🤣🤣🤣
I agree with you on not eating diesel fed hogs. You also should consider your beef and chicken you buy commercially. They are chock full of hormones, anti biotics and food not natural to them. They are flattened up as quick as possible to sell. I buy grass fed beef and free range eggs from a friend. I try not to eat chicken unlesd it's natural.

Like was said previously, I wouldn't use diesel if I'm going to eat it later. Soured corn works great and the deer don't usually mess with it. If the neighboring farms have peanuts and a water source, ask them if you can hunt the pigs on their property rather than drawing them to your Fil place. Our farm is in Ben Hill on the Turner county lines and if I could get rid of the pigs I would in a heartbeat, there is no way I would ever try to get them to the property. Once they are there they are next to impossible to get rid of a cause a lot of damage.

But rotting potatoes work

Again, sprayed not soaked!

Go clean out your local supermarket of rotting vegetables and fruits, they'll probably let you haul it off daily. Once the pigs find it, they'll beat everything to it.

Some old railroad ties and telephone poles for them to get the creosote off of is a magnet.
Had not thought of that... we have a bunch of local stores that donate to our food-bank... many times the fruits and veggies have some that are bad... I'll start using that stuff too.

Yep, once it starts it's hard to stop. I'd think through this.
I figured I'd better... so I thought on this a lot last night... per y'all's recommendations... I actually could not sleep for all of this great info... talked to my FIL again this am... he said they're all around anyway... I just haven't been watching out for them... that's gonna change... as a funny note... kind of anyway... at the start of hunting season my FIL found a nice 10 point stuck in a hog cage trap at the corner of his property... he let it out so he could "hunt" it another day... the guy ran about 20 yards, stopped, looked back as if to say see ya soon... and just walked away.

Last edited:
I've often read about guys who soak their corn in diesel fuel. Apparently hogs like diesel as much as they like corn. I doubt any other critter would eat diesel laden corn. Maybe someone else can chime in on this suggestion.
Very true. Another tip. Get a garden sprayer and fill it with diesel. If you kill one spray all the blood on the ground and the area around it. Otherwise it will be very difficult to kill another one there, at least before the next big rain.