Hoe much ammo to bring

On a backpack hunt I typically carry 5 in the gun, 5-10 in my pack and a side arm with 12 rounds, 6 in the gun and 6 in my pocket.

It's been mentioned before, and it gets into personal preferences and a lot of logistics/timing, but it's really handy to be shooting identical loads as your hunting buddy. That's not always possible because no two barrels are the same and we are all after optimal accuracy.

My buddy and I decided to have customs built last Spring and in the process reviewed multiple cartridges and decided that the 7RM would be ideal for us (Elk and Mulies predominantly). Ultimately we couldn't agree on final bullet selection, he's shooting Bergers and I'm shooting Barnes, but we both shot each other's ammo and know that with minimal adjustment we'd be back in the game if we had to borrow from each other.

With that, he carries a box of 20 plus 3 in rifle. I carry 10 plus 3, so 36 between the two of us. That's a lot of redundancy.

If it comes right down to it, although we have a lot invested in each of our personal rifles, neither of us is so prideful that we wouldn't abandon our our own setup if we have issues, and switch rifles to make it happen. He missed a bedded buck at 400 this year and I couldn't spot his hit (we didn't know if it was a hit or a miss, we assumed hit). In the chaos after the first shot I couldn't see where the buck ran (down into the canyon and straight at us). He missed again and then at 300 just before going out of sight he took a shot at the neck (only shot he was presented and assuming that the first shot was a hit).

Before going to investigate we discussed the shots. I told him I couldn't see impact on shot one (miscommunication and excitement leading to me not being set up with tripod when he shot). He felt confident in his form but also said that he never saw the buck react like he was hit. We never saw the buck escape out of the canyon and could hear rocks rolling directly under us about 200 yards down the steep rocky ridge we were on. Earlier that morning I took a buck at 260 and we knew that my rifle was still solid. Our hunting style involves a technical dirtbike ride every morning and then a few miles of hiking so it's always possible that he could have bumped his scope. With confidence waning, we both decided that he would carry my rifle during the investigation.

Fortunately it was unnecessary, his buck was piled up where we heard the rocks rolling with a devastating hole in his neck (unscathed otherwise). Not sure what happened with that first prone and bedded shot.

Generally load the mag with 3-4 (rifle dependent) and then have 10 in a cartridge wallet that goes on my pack belt. I would generally be comfortable with 8-10 total but just fill the slots available. I also generally have a glock with full mag.

Load you gun and a ammo wallet with 10 more on your belt and you are good to go.

On a backpack hunt I typically carry 5 in the gun, 5-10 in my pack and a side arm with 12 rounds, 6 in the gun and 6 in my pocket.

Same here actually lol I have one 5 round aics mag, and another spare.
Except I usually have a selfloading pistol and use standard cap mags when as I'm more weary of people then animals.

Minimum is a box of 20 rounds. While I have rarely used more then a shot or two on a trip, you never know when that badger hole, or other problem(or opportunity) may require the extra rounds. I'll shave weight and bulk elsewhere and take the insurance.

I see guys all the time show up in our base camps with 40+ rounds. I have to sit back and say does he have the confidence in his weapon and or shooting ability? Usually after the first full day of humping at 9000+ mountains I see all the extra food food stuff come out of the packs and only the needed equipment seems to go up the hill after that. If you need more than 5 shots on your worst elk trip you might want to spend your money on better equipment and range time. Just my 2 cents. But I have been outfitting for 30+years!

I carry 15

2 to check my zero
3 for signalling
1 for shot
2 in ready for the follow up
7 to throw at the beast just in case I miss

Also if I'm in bear country ruger Alaskan 44MAG with 6 extra rounds

I usually have 20 plus rounds at camp. When I'm actually out hiking around, 7 in my stock pack and 3 in the gun. If my ammo gets wet in the stock pack I have more at camp to swap out. Most of the time I'm with my partner who usually has his own tag and rifle with another 10 rounds. We do hunt in griz country from time to time.

Funny Story, my sons best friend is not a good shot, but likes to shoot a lot. He has run out of ammo twice on hunts. He borrowed my sons rifle one time and then used his pistol to finish off a cow elk, now that is buck fever !! This is when he was 13 years old and he's now married and much better at shooting, but we sure have good stories to tell when we visit. So if you are taking young kids, pack more ammo !!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.