Hodgdon Superformance Powder

HammerB1

Official LRH Sponsor
I see that midway has this new powder in it catalog now. First of all, has anyone seem this stuff on the shelf and second, has anyone tried it? If so, does it get the added velocity they say?

I have seen it on the shelf, I have not tried it.

Hogdens says it will not work as advertised with every cartridge, but it really shines with a chosen few.

One would think that with the burn rate around that of the H4831, it should work well in more than the few calibers they have load data for. I have read that this is just one of many powders they are currently loading the Hornady ammo with and will not release any of the others til they see how this one does. Always fun working with something new.

Brian

Hornadys new book has loads for this. I want the leaverevolution powder for my 30-30. The problem is not alot of load shops in the Greenville sc area and I don't want to buy it online.

One would think that with the burn rate around that of the H4831, it should work well in more than the few calibers they have load data for. I have read that this is just one of many powders they are currently loading the Hornady ammo with and will not release any of the others til they see how this one does. Always fun working with something new.

Brian

Hornady's 8th edition reloading handbook has the Superformance burn rate between H 414 and A 4350. It is number 108 on the list. IMR 4831 is #119 and H4831 is # 125. I have one pound, but have yet to try it. I want to use it in some of the cartridges they make ammo for, but cant find the reloading data yet. I may have to make an educated guess and start with 25-06.

That is a progressive burn rate powder kinda like mixing 3031, 4350, and 7828 I don't know if any of you all have shot the superformance ammo from hornady but I have yet to find any consistency with it any any caliber I have tried, 1-1.5moa @100 at best and I have tried it in 243, 270, 30-06, and 300wm and to say the least I was not impressed! Powders of that nature are hard to get good accuracy with. Just my opinion.

That is a progressive burn rate powder kinda like mixing 3031, 4350, and 7828 I don't know if any of you all have shot the superformance ammo from hornady but I have yet to find any consistency with it any any caliber I have tried, 1-1.5moa @100 at best and I have tried it in 243, 270, 30-06, and 300wm and to say the least I was not impressed! Powders of that nature are hard to get good accuracy with. Just my opinion.

3/4 MOA in my Remington Sendero with Superformance ammo, caliber 7mm Rem Mag.
I have not tried it in other rifles so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts