Hodgdon is getting on my last nerve

I am a multi-generational New Yorker and an avid sportsman. The laws here have gotten much more prohibitive in the last 10 years and will continue to do so with the liberal Democrats holding the governor's office and both houses. Yes - I'd like to move to a free state like most shooters.

However, when you are firmly rooted in your location and moving means choosing between your family and your guns, the only option for me was to stay in NY and comply with the ridiculous regulations that exist here. I love the shooting sports but I love my kids and grandsons more.

That's exactly where I am. I have 9 years to finish my career. I want to leave this state with my pension, and live out west, where I've really wanted to be for the past 20+ years. Add to that, my mom and dad (especially dad, as of late) have been having health issues, being near home to help them is important to them, and me. I'm sure more than one of us can relate.

I'm going to vent. I'm probably gonna get kicked off the forum, but I think I'm speaking for most of us when I ask if the people running Hodgdon have their heads up their --- or something. Retumbo, H4350, H1000, Varget, are all STAPLES of the Hodgdon brand, and it's like trying to find pixie dust. Do they want to lose customers? Why is it that a company who makes gunpowder, and has been doing so forever, can't keep up with demand? Are they not investing enough of their profits into the company and their equipment? You would think that the demand for their products would be incentive for them to make more of it.
Am I missing something here? For all of the powder companies out there, now is a great time for them to get their engineers and marketing teams in order and produce powders that are temp stable with comparable burn rates. When I find something that will replace my Hodgdon powders, I'm jumping ship. Their management appears to be about as in touch with their customers as Remington's marketing.

I heard from a reloading store varget gets shipped or something to do with varget comes from australia, an the ships been on strike this was month or two ago

I've been buying a couple of pounds of IMR And Reloder powders a month for about three years, now. I intend to keep that up for a little while longer and then just replace what I load. I currently have around 18 or 20 lbs of IMR 4350 and around 14 lbs of IMR 4831, along with about 8 lbs of RL15, and several pounds of various other RL, Hodgdons and IMR powders suitable for .308, 30-06, 300WM and a couple of other cartridges that I use. I've been doing this so I don't have to worry about running out of the powders I use in the bigger cartridges like I have in the past. I haven't been able to find RL26 anywhere around here, though.

Scheels is great. Probably the last great brick and mortar sporting goods store. Too bad many of us are 1000 miles from the closest one. I stop every time I drive by one on the way to a Western hunt.

I live on the periphery of a 1M+ metropolitan area in the Midwest, guns are no taboo here. There is not a single store worth driving 30 minutes to on the assumption they will have any powder in stock applicable to a certain application. It's more luck-of-the-draw based off a small and unpredictable inventory. We had a couple Ganders which were the best bet, but then they downscaled reloading and powders a couple years before being bought out altogether.

ATH I'm in same boat, on the north side of Indy.

I resorted to backordering several 8 lb jugs from Powder Valley or Midsouth when they let me do it. Then act like it's a suppressor tax stamp and wait for it to come in a year later....

Last edited:
Hodgkin have never MADE powder, they only repackage it and sell it.
All of their extruded powders are made in Australia. The plant (ADI/Mulwex) did have a fire around 6 years ago, and their stocks were greatly reduced
I live here in Australia and even we struggle with demand/supply here.
There has been a major hazmat shakeup here causing most of the issues with no stock, not the plant per se'

Cheers.

I'm going to vent. I'm probably gonna get kicked off the forum, but I think I'm speaking for most of us when I ask if the people running Hodgdon have their heads up their --- or something. Retumbo, H4350, H1000, Varget, are all STAPLES of the Hodgdon brand, and it's like trying to find pixie dust. Do they want to lose customers? Why is it that a company who makes gunpowder, and has been doing so forever, can't keep up with demand? Are they not investing enough of their profits into the company and their equipment? You would think that the demand for their products would be incentive for them to make more of it.
Am I missing something here? For all of the powder companies out there, now is a great time for them to get their engineers and marketing teams in order and produce powders that are temp stable with comparable burn rates. When I find something that will replace my Hodgdon powders, I'm jumping ship. Their management appears to be about as in touch with their customers as Remington's marketing.
I asked a Rep at the Shot Show said the Armed services is taking most of it

Unicorns do exist!

This was in Logan, UT yesterday. $27/lb. I left plenty for the other guys.
B0AB8693-C4EF-4904-943C-4EFCB0253797.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts