Hodgdon is getting on my last nerve

Boys, The best we can do is get it when the gettin's good, and save a surplus for hard times. I've got a small supply stashed back at home, as I learned my lesson about this several years ago. I like to keep at least a 2-3 year supply of my favorites stashed back.

It is annoying. If you are a varget fan, I recommend learning about/looking at IMR 4320. Its kind of a forgotten powder. I had my 308 hunting rifle dialed in to same hole at 100 with varget but got a single flier in every 5 shot group. My local reloading guru threw a can of 4320 at me (literally the old metal can that looks like a paint thinner can) and said to swap powders and it would take care of the flier. As drastic of a change as that sounded, i tried it and he was right
Yup, gotta love the 4320... I keep a keg of that stuff on hand for my 375... works as well as rl15 or varget...
As far as overall supply , I just keep a few hundred rounds loaded or enough components on the shelf for a couple years shooting; whichever is more. That goes for bullets too. I always seem to be on the loosing end on bullets (either discontinued on unobtanium) so I make sure I have supply. I also have a number of good rifles, so if I'm having an issue with a rifle- supplies or performance- I have another choice that simply needs a sling and a box of ammo in my truck to get rolling.

Well, they lost me. I've been searching for Retumbo & H1000 for about a year now in AZ. Our Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas/Bass Pro haven't seen any in the last 12 months. I get the temporary flux of supply and demand, but not being able to get your product to the market in over a year? I've switched over to Alliant. At least I can find some of their powders every now and then. Given the fact that Alliant s now harder to find suggests that more than a few shooters have switched over. The question is: once Hodgdon corrects the problem, will they be able to earn these customers back.
Bear Mountain in Mesa, Az. keeps a list of people looking for powder. We supplied a lot of H1000 and Retumbo a few months back and have N570 and H4350 right now. We do not ship though.

Last edited:
This is always the problem with popular powder and components. The more popular, the harder they are to find. Vihtavuori N 570 has been the hardest for me to find.

Maybe once everyone has all they want, powders will be easier to find.

J E CUSTOM
when they do the new thing in calibers will cause a shortage of a different powder

I'm going to vent. I'm probably gonna get kicked off the forum, but I think I'm speaking for most of us when I ask if the people running Hodgdon have their heads up their --- or something. Retumbo, H4350, H1000, Varget, are all STAPLES of the Hodgdon brand, and it's like trying to find pixie dust. Do they want to lose customers? Why is it that a company who makes gunpowder, and has been doing so forever, can't keep up with demand? Are they not investing enough of their profits into the company and their equipment? You would think that the demand for their products would be incentive for them to make more of it.
Am I missing something here? For all of the powder companies out there, now is a great time for them to get their engineers and marketing teams in order and produce powders that are temp stable with comparable burn rates. When I find something that will replace my Hodgdon powders, I'm jumping ship. Their management appears to be about as in touch with their customers as Remington's marketing.

I have all the powder you are looking for but I also have all the following near equivalent powders (except for 8133, yet) and just sharing for what it is for what it is worth.

IMR ENDURON 4166 = VARGET.JPG

(Comparable to Varget)

IMR ENDURON 4451 = H4350.JPG

(Comparable to H4350)

IMR ENDURON 7977 = H1000.JPG

(Comparable to H1000)

IMR ENDURON 8133 = RETUMBO.JPG

(Comparable to Retumbo)

Last edited:
And yet you CHOOSE to live there.

I am a multi-generational New Yorker and an avid sportsman. The laws here have gotten much more restrictive in the last 10 years and will continue to do so with the liberal Democrats holding the governor's office and both houses. Yes - I'd like to move to a free state like most shooters.

However, when you are firmly rooted in your location and moving means choosing between your family and your guns, the only option for me was to stay in NY and comply with the ridiculous regulations that exist here. I love the shooting sports but I love my kids and grandsons more.

Last edited:
IMR 4320 has been referenced twice in this thread. Please note that IMR 4320 is being discontinued.

Good Luck

Jerry
not the first time for that one(4320)... it's been gone and back on the shelves before. H50MBG is a similar powder that way... It spent a while gone lately; now it seems it's back. I've got a keg of each. I'll be good for a spell either way...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.