Hodgdon is getting on my last nerve

Yeah, I was looking for (of course) Varget last weekend and couldn't find it. I'm down to 1-1/4 pound. Same deal with RL-15 where I shop.
Shooters World Precision is a performance equivalent to Varget, the powder is from Louvex in Czechoslovakia, the same company that made Accurate Powder before Western Powder bought them out.

This is the type of panic attitude that we saw when Obama was elected and there was an ammo shortage. Then a powder and primer shortage. Everyone freaks out about something not being available and runs out and buys 20 years worth creating a bigger problem. There honestly aren't that many people that don't shoot competitively that will burn through 8lbs of H4350 and 1k primers in a year so why do people buy 24lbs and 5k primers at a time? Buy what you need and leave some for the other guy.
In all honesty I bought thousands of rounds of ammo, primers and several AR receivers in 2008 and I'm still sitting on a most of them. I can buy most of it now for half what I paid then.

While Hodgdon powders are great, there are other temp stable options. RL23 is between H1000 and Retumbo and seems to be available. From people I've talked to it works awesome. Should be able to find a load in 20 rounds or so, maybe less.

I better stop there cause it got heated.

I'm really hoping this is a story you just made up to sound cool on the forum.

In case you missed the debates on Tuesday, we arent exactly in a time/place that is "friendly" to the shooting sports. People who get "heated" at the gun range over something as simple and trivial as this just fulfills the stereotype of "all gun owners are hot headed rednecks and potential future mass murderers."

That said, I've always firmly believed that the final push for expanded restrictions on firearms is going to absilutely come from within our ranks rather than from some outside Democrat boogeyman or moms' group. Plenty of people who demonstrate the attitude of "fewer new shooters means more shooting for me" who would happily sell the rest of us out in a heartbeat.

/soapbox

This is the type of panic attitude that we saw when Obama was elected and there was an ammo shortage. Then a powder and primer shortage. Everyone freaks out about something not being available and runs out and buys 20 years worth creating a bigger problem. There honestly aren't that many people that don't shoot competitively that will burn through 8lbs of H4350 and 1k primers in a year so why do people buy 24lbs and 5k primers at a time? Buy what you need and leave some for the other guy.
In all honesty I bought thousands of rounds of ammo, primers and several AR receivers in 2008 and I'm still sitting on a most of them. I can buy most of it now for half what I paid then.
So you bought enough components in 2008 to last you well past 2020, but want to shame the guys who refuse to go thru a shortage?

I'm really hoping this is a story you just made up to sound cool on the forum.

In case you missed the debates on Tuesday, we arent exactly in a time/place that is "friendly" to the shooting sports. People who get "heated" at the gun range over something as simple and trivial as this just fulfills the stereotype of "all gun owners are hot headed rednecks and potential future mass murderers."

That said, I've always firmly believed that the final push for expanded restrictions on firearms is going to absilutely come from within our ranks rather than from some outside Democrat boogeyman or moms' group. Plenty of people who demonstrate the attitude of "fewer new shooters means more shooting for me" who would happily sell the rest of us out in a heartbeat.

/soapbox
CAC Associates in Ebensburg,Pa has a huge supply of powder on hand. Its about a 2 1/2 hour ride each way so whenever I get to go there, I cash in and buy a mother load!

So you bought enough components in 2008 to last you well past 2020, but want to shame the guys who refuse to go thru a shortage?

I have a budy who buys one or two sleeves of primers and a 1lbs jug of powder at a time, and doesn't buy any more until he loads his last round with his current components, and refuses to buy anywhere but locally. He's mad right now because he is having trouble finding powder for his 7Mag. I want to feel bad for him, but that's like waiting till your gass light is on before looking for a gas station. I don't feel sympathy for someone like that who complains about "going through a shortage".

I buy enough components so that I have enough on hand to shoot for several months without worrying about anything and then I start looking to re-stock while I still have enough leftover so that it isnt a major inconvenience even if it takes a few months to find what I am looking for. The closest I came to getting burned was when it took 11 months for my supplier to get a shipment of H1000 (I was down to less than .25lbs by the time I got the "in stock" email), so you can believe I bought a whole lot more when I placed my order this time around.

If its something that is hard to find, I buy more of it than I would if it was easier to find, that's not hoarding, thats just common sense. Stuff like primers and to a lesser degree powder can go bad if you dont store it right so I buy only what I think I will need to cover several months of shooting (or more in cases like H1000 where its harder to find). Bullets never go bad, so I have those stacked to the rafters for every major caliber I shoot.

Calling people hoarders just because they plan their resources effectively is stupid.

Last edited:
I have a budy who buys one or two sleeves of primers and a 1lbs jug of powder at a time, and doesn't buy any more until he loads his last round with his current components, and refuses to buy anywhere but locally. He's mad right now because he is having trouble finding powder for his 7Mag. I want to feel bad for him, but that's like waiting till your gass light is on before looking for a gas station. I don't feel sympathy for someone like that who complains about "going through a shortage".

I buy enough components so that I have enough on hand to shoot for several months without worrying about anything and then I start looking to re-stock while I still have enough leftover so that it isnt a major inconvenience even if it takes a few months to find what I am looking for. If its something that is hard to find, I buy more of it than I would if it was easier to find. Stuff like primers and to a lesser degree powder can go bad if you dont store it right so I buy only what I think I will need to cover several months of shooting. Bullets never go bad, so I have those stacked to the rafters.

Calling people hoarders just because they plan their resources effectively is stupid.
you're right I shouldn't call EVERYONE a hoarder. I do the same. If the opportunity presents itself, I would buy 2-3 # or 1/8#. Some retailers and distributors will limit purchases, I'm frustrated cuz i'm always the last one to find out and its gone

I buy enough components so that I have enough on hand to shoot for several months without worrying about anything and then I start looking to re-stock while I still have enough leftover so that it isnt a major inconvenience even if it takes a few months to find what I am looking for. If its something that is hard to find, I buy more of it than I would if it was easier to find. Stuff like primers and to a lesser degree powder can go bad if you dont store it right so I buy only what I think I will need to cover several months of shooting. Bullets never go bad, so I have those stacked to the rafters.

I totally agree with you!
Some say hoarder, I say prepared! I never bought more than I need. I need every ounce of powder I have, all 40 pounds of it. I'm looking for another 8# jug of h1000 and I'll be able to sleep a little better. ;)

Sportsmans here is pretty well stocked. I buy 8,16 or 24 ponds at a time when Im down to my last 8 pounder depending on the powder. Hell they had Benchmark on sale for 140 for 8 pounds last week.

To the OP chill man or do find something else so we have more its not rocket science its all good
any retumbo there?

As mentioned is as reloaders get the scraps left from military and other ammunition manufacturers. CCI was I believe the only company that started up geared towards John Q Public.
It is actually pretty simple to keep stuff on hand. What ever you use, say 1 pound per year of xyz powder. When you open a new one, you should be shopping for another to put on the shelf. Same with primers.
When I was shooting heavily on the competitive side, it was 8lb jugs and 5k of primers at a time. Hoarding? No not if you actually use it. Powder or primers on a killer sale,simple, stock up. Buddy and I ordered CCI primers years ago and folks said we were nuts. Maybe we were for ordering 500k. Ate ramen noodles and hotdogs for a while, but for half price at the time and they were available......it didn't hurt near as bad two years later when you couldn't find any, and when ya did they were 3x as high.
Kinda like my ex wife and here new car, never fill the tank and never fuel up till the light came on, yet she kept a small gas jug full in the trunk in case she ran out:rolleyes:

No offense meant to anyone and not making excuses for anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.