Hodgdon is getting on my last nerve

I'm going to vent. I'm probably gonna get kicked off the forum, but I think I'm speaking for most of us when I ask if the people running Hodgdon have their heads up their --- or something. Retumbo, H4350, H1000, Varget, are all STAPLES of the Hodgdon brand, and it's like trying to find pixie dust. Do they want to lose customers? Why is it that a company who makes gunpowder, and has been doing so forever, can't keep up with demand? Are they not investing enough of their profits into the company and their equipment? You would think that the demand for their products would be incentive for them to make more of it.
Am I missing something here? For all of the powder companies out there, now is a great time for them to get their engineers and marketing teams in order and produce powders that are temp stable with comparable burn rates. When I find something that will replace my Hodgdon powders, I'm jumping ship. Their management appears to be about as in touch with their customers as Remington's marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this response
Q: What is causing the supply challenges?

A: Quite simply, our manufacturing facilities have not kept up with our orders. Additionally, military contracts began specifying Hodgdon powders in the last few years for military ammunition, impacting our supply. With expanded government regulation, shipping explosive and energetic materials has become more challenging, which also impacts available supply. Lastly, rapidly changing consumer preferences for different powder types has impacted both demand and supply. We worked with all Hodgdon providers to resolve open issues and expect powder supply to improve in 2020 as a result.

I got this response
Q: What is causing the supply challenges?

A: Quite simply, our manufacturing facilities have not kept up with our orders. Additionally, military contracts began specifying Hodgdon powders in the last few years for military ammunition, impacting our supply. With expanded government regulation, shipping explosive and energetic materials has become more challenging, which also impacts available supply. Lastly, rapidly changing consumer preferences for different powder types has impacted both demand and supply. We worked with all Hodgdon providers to resolve open issues and expect powder supply to improve in 2020 as a result.

I think you can add to this a little bit of paranoia around this being an election year. I've had a bit of an urge to make some of my gun related and reloading purchases in the first quarter of this year for this reason. Maybe I'm guilty too.

Also, I was fed the old line by a vendor that Hogden had a fire at their plant. Seems that this wive's tale has been going around since 2013. I'm really going to savor that Varget I have left. I just blew threw 1,032 grains of it at the bench this afternoon on a charge ladder.

With expanded government regulation, shipping explosive and energetic materials has become more challenging, which also impacts available supply.

Today, one of the owners of the 2 gun stores in my town said something along these lines. Said something about components (ingredients) for powders being in 'short supply' through normal channels and that it's having to be sought through other suppliers and shipped by different means/routes?

Today, one of the owners of the 2 gun stores in my town said something along these lines. Said something about components (ingredients) for powders being in 'short supply' through normal channels and that it's having to be sought through other suppliers and shipped by different means/routes?
cartel powder who would have thought

It's hard on us as civilian market consumers but the military contracts are far more lucrative than us buying a few pounds at a time. The military has recognized the need for temp stable powders due to the different areas our soldiers train and then fight in. Things will catch back up as companies like Hodgdon step up production but right now it's hope you got a stock pile or just wait.

I'm going to vent. I'm probably gonna get kicked off the forum, but I think I'm speaking for most of us when I ask if the people running Hodgdon have their heads up their --- or something. Retumbo, H4350, H1000, Varget, are all STAPLES of the Hodgdon brand, and it's like trying to find pixie dust. Do they want to lose customers? Why is it that a company who makes gunpowder, and has been doing so forever, can't keep up with demand? Are they not investing enough of their profits into the company and their equipment? You would think that the demand for their products would be incentive for them to make more of it.
Am I missing something here? For all of the powder companies out there, now is a great time for them to get their engineers and marketing teams in order and produce powders that are temp stable with comparable burn rates. When I find something that will replace my Hodgdon powders, I'm jumping ship. Their management appears to be about as in touch with their customers as Remington's marketing.
I can understand your frustration. It has something to do with Australia changed the shipping container rules. Takes too much energy to be angry. Patience.

The beauty of reloading is the challenge of coming up with the best load with components that is available.

Well, dang....now I feel more compelled than ever to go buy the 5 lbs of RL26 sitting on a local gun store shelf and hit the in-progress .300 Win Mag build with it.........instead of waiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.