Hodgdon 4831 and 4831sc??

Tikkamike

I was reloading some 300 win mag shells and as I emptied one can and opened the next and poured it in my powder measurer I realized I had just mixed 4831sc and 4831. I went to the hodgdon website and they say they are ballistically identical but the sc version flows easier through drop tubes and funnels and makes a more dence powder charge. I dont think I will have any problems because I am using the same weight of grains with both. I measure every charge with a beam scale. anyone have info on this? I never even realized the 2 coexisted

Mike, my biggest concern would be consistency or lack of from shot to shot. Just as if you loaded several rounds with two different lots of powder, there will be variation. Especially at the ranges you most likely shoot.

The SC is for short cut I believe. If the load data for the two is identical then they are
the same burn rate. No worries.

Tikkamike,
I really don't think you will have any troubles. I once had an old can of H4350 (pre-Extreme) half full and a half can of H4350 Extreme that I mixed together and never missed a beat. I started low and ran all the way up to max load in my .300WinMag. I got great accuracy and velocity.
I met a guy in Virginia who mixed smokeless powder and black powder in his muzzleloader and got great accuracy and velocity. I can't remember the exact ratio, but he has used this for years hunting! JohnnyK.

Tikkamike,
I met a guy in Virginia who mixed smokeless powder and black powder in his muzzleloader and got great accuracy and velocity. I can't remember the exact ratio, but he has used this for years hunting! JohnnyK.

I hope the guy was just pulling your leg because that's got to be one of the most dangerous things I've heard in a long time.

I agree but this guy was totally serious. I asked him several times and told him how dangerous this was but he scoffed at it and assured me it works. I have never been that brave or stupid! JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.