Ho, ho, ho --- Merry Christmas! -- 2011 was very good to me.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Every week that I am not traveling out west I drive an hour and a half to my daughter's home and babysit for my grandson, Ollie. On the second morning of my 2 day stay I often go out for a pre-dawn breakfast. I am now sitting at McDonald's just having finished a bacon, egg, cheese biscuit and the necessary amount of diet coke --- mostly for its caffeine.

So every year at this time I pause to think about all I have to be thankful for in my life. And the process always chokes me up a little.

Elvis is singing "Santa bring my baby back to me" and I am browsing some old LRH forum threads that mention me and my family. The new LRH site search feature is located in the upper right corner of every page and we just got it put up a day ago. That's how I found the threads.

lrh-site-search.jpg

I just came across this picture of my now two and a half old grandson as part of a two year old LRH forum thread. Ollie is getting a new baby sister in about 4 weeks. More about her when she arrives. :)

ollie-twins-post.jpg

"It's Christmas and we're in love" is now playing and it is obviously referring to the relationship I have with my 8th grade sweetheart, Kathy.

The next picture is of my first granddaughter, Mia Pearl, born 4 years ago. She's crying because Santa said she can't have a 338 EDGE rifle just yet, she should start with a .243 and work her way up. Mia has a one and a half year old sister named Ellie Drew. (My son's name is Andrew)

mia-santa-2.jpg

"Have a holly, jolly Christmas?" is now playing. Here's picture of Ellie and Santa from a week ago.

Ellie-santa.jpg

So what is important in life?

I'd say for me it's a healthy, happy, growing family. A lot of good friends on LRH. A wonderful hunting season, much of it spent with my son, Andy.

4154d1322511135-backus-boys-both-bag-beautiful-bucks-5754.jpg

What are you thankful for this year?

Last edited:
Len and all.
May you have a very very merry Christmas and a great 2012.
There are many many things for me to be thankful for. Most of all is that my honey is healthful after going through breast cancer surgery and her outlook is outstanding.
Makes one realize what is really important in life.

Take care all and enjoy the things to come!

Randy Gehrke
from cold central Idaho

Merry Christmas and best wishes to all!!!!

I am very thankful to the Lord just for me still being here. Family and friends!

Merry Christmas to everyone at LRH, thanks for turning me on to alot of good huntin, I will be returning home to God's country for Christmas [Upson Wi] and I am thankful for all the friendships, and relationships that are born because of the hunt. gun)

Great post, Len.

Where to start? So much to be thankful for.

First of all, for the Creator of the Universe who loves us and has so much grace and blessing upon and for us despite our consistent rebellion against him (causing the universe to be in the mess it is) and the fact the He has provided a way for us to be restored to a right relationship to Him through his son Jesus Christ, despite our rebellion.

Secondly, for my wonderful family and friends that love me and have so much grace for me despite my many imperfections.

Third, for a free country and for those who have given their lives in defense of its freedom. Freedom isn't free.

For the opportunity to get out and enjoy God's beautiful creation and occasionally harvest a critter to fill the freezer.

Where to stop?

Oh...and I'm also very thankful to Len for creating and sustaining (others that help with this site as well--ss7mm comes to mind and I think Len's son Andy helps out too...) this website where I've learned so much over the years--thanks, guys, for putting up with me and helping me learn over the years!

Merry Christmas!

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.