Hitting pressure early in 6.5 PRC

I've experienced the same early pressure signs at modest velocity. Stiff bolt lift, ejector marks in my 28 Nosler. I went home and pulled between 15 and 30 bullets. Then loaded a new series with a different powder only to have the same issues. I did this 3 times and finally realized it was the Nosler brand brass.
Switched to Peterson brass and never had another problem.
I kinda thought maybe that was the culprit. I have some once fired Hornady brass to try as well. Someday hopefully I'll be able to get some lapua whenever it comes out.

I kinda thought maybe that was the culprit. I have some once fired Hornady brass to try as well. Someday hopefully I'll be able to get some lapua whenever it comes out.
Weigh 5 or 10 of each and see what they average. I'd bet hot Hornady numbers (or a hot batch of powder) plus heavier brass could bump you down a grain or two easily.

Waiting on the lapua here as well, they said they're still on track for spring, but that could be June.

58 grains h1000 was getting to much for my adg brass. I end up 57.7 and around 2950 with a 147 pill.

Maby check how long the brass as well. Iv had that flub me up before.

I have not been around any nosler brass but I bet it is heavier than Hornady. Since you seem to be getting decent speed in a new barrel I'd venture to guess it is a common issue with the differences in brass make up. I know my adg is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier brass and I can get no where close to max loads without hitting pressure. However, I could care less since the speed is where it should be.

The issue with heavy bolt lift and clicks via tight chambers is almost always tied to reloads at 4-6 and brass expansion in the web. I have a modified die, a custom die, and new reamer. I use the whidden custom die and it works perfectly. My rifle is shooting lights freaking out. I highly doubt this is your issue.

Read posts from Alex Wheeler about chamber issues, brass, and resizing issues. This has been happening in both 300 and 65 PRC.

Last edited:
I have a 28 nosler that does the same thing. I max out about 5 grns of n570 less than most others. And I am running .314 neck dia in a .318 neck chamber with lots of freebore. Measure your fired case neck dia and compare it to your loaded round. If you have at least .003-.005 difference I would run it. What you are seeing is exactly why they say to start at min and work up looking for pressure signs. The shiney circle on the case head always means stop. If you would have taken for granted that book loads are typically low and started at max, you probably would have had to pound your bolt open with a hammer. And by the way my 28 that is like yours, has been the best shooting and easiest rifle to get shooting well that I own.

Just watched the Wheeler videos and read that article he posted. Should have stuck with the .260 idea or gone with a SAUM.

Just watched the Wheeler videos and read that article he posted. Should have stuck with the .260 idea or gone with a SAUM.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. What are you getting for velocity? How does it shoot?

I get good velocity in my 28 even though I use less powder.

I'm being a little dramatic. The gun is shooting fine at a velocity that I was hoping for just more pressure than I would like. Based off the wheeler video it sounds like I might not actually be hitting pressure as much as its just a tight chamber. The load i am settling on for now is 2960 avg which is totally fine with me but I am going to see what I can do in the accuracy department and try another powder. Its right at 1/2 moa which is acceptable but I want to see if the gun will do a little better, that's part of the fun for me anyway. I will say that this is the 2nd McGowan barrel I own and neither have impressed me thus far but thats a sperate topic.

How much growth would be considered a tight neck? Loaded measured to .291 and after was .297-.298 depending on how I held my mouth while measuring.