Hitting Livestock....Now what?

Doublezranch

You've been waiting months or even years to be drawn for this and its finally here. You have planned for months and feel extremely prepared for the hunt of a lifetime. You've gone over your list, driving routes and are prepared for anything that the great outdoors can throw at you. There is one crucial thing that you may not be prepared for, and that is a vehicle accident.
As we know animals are on the move this time of year. The largest to the smallest of game, the weather turns these critters into motion for many reasons. Most of us hunt in several states which means there is significant travel involved. Although hitting these game animals is a very common occurrence, I want to talk about another common occurrence that happens that we overlook. Hitting livestock. Most of us hunt in areas of free range. Traveling at night in these areas can be treacherous or even deadly. Hitting a 1000 lbs cow or horse can be devastating. Here are some tips in case this happens to you out in the field.

1. First and foremost, Make sure everyone is alright.
2. Take notes. Note the weather condition, your speed, your exact location. Note the condition of the livestock, crippled, dead, etc. Note the ear tag of the animal. Most importantly, note the time and take pictures of the vehicle and the animal. Note the names and birthdates of everyone in the car. Note the time the sheriffs office is called, the time they arrive, the questions they asked and what they take pictures of. BE METICULOUS!
3. If you have cell service, call the sheriffs department. Tell them what you hit and your location (if you can). If you don't have cell service and your truck is undrivable, either find the nearest ranch or wait for a passerby.
4. If your truck is drivable, (DO NOT JUST DRIVE AWAY and pretend it didn't happen) head to the nearest ranch and ask who the owner of the animal is. Get their information and give them yours.
5. If the ranch is leasing to the owner of the livestock, Call the owner of the animal and explain what happened. More than likely you will get a heartfelt thank you for doing the right thing. Many livestock are hit each year that are not turned in. This can be a significant loss for the rancher.
6. If the animal is not dead, do not euthanize the animal. Let the owner of the animal or the sheriffs deputy do this. Livestock has a price value, and sometimes it can be pretty high. Leaving the final judgement to the owner of the animal clears you from answering other questions.
7. Call your insurance agent immediately after the accident. Give them preliminary information of what happened, and let them know you will be emailing your detailed notes and pictures as soon as the situation has played out.

Every situation is different with lots of different variables. These are simply high level steps to help manage the situation. These situations can be very scary when they happen and if you are prepared, it makes the situation much easier to except. Please be careful this hunting season and enjoy your time in the outdoors.

Jayson

Last edited:
Being a trucker, I have hit many a deer over the last 25 years. It's considered an accident, and has to be treated as one. I hit a deer in West Virginia in 2001 or 2002, and did not get back to my company about it because I saw no overt damage. The mechanics found a bit of damage to a strut that steadies the air dam upon the next PM service. I got a call from our Safety Director. You can bet your assets he wanted answers...

In Montana the livestock is so sacred that if you hit them, even if they are standing on the interstate YOU are the one at fault and have to compensate the rancher. Of course they will say you done killed their most prized and valuable animal.

I have also heard of some ranchers will tell you that you owe them for all the years of possible reproduction. There are many angles and many are in the grey area.
I have also heard of ranchers denying that the livestock are theirs for fear of liability.

In Montana the livestock is so sacred that if you hit them, even if they are standing on the interstate YOU are the one at fault and have to compensate the rancher. Of course they will say you done killed their most prized and valuable animal.
We bought out neighbor a new camaro after hit our cow on the county road, central Montana. Depends on the situation. She was an old stubborn cow, and we didn't claim her to be anything more than that. It's not considered "open range" right there, so we were responsible for our cow being out. I don't think that was a bad decision, it sucked, but I don't want to worry about hitting cattle on the road either. Lucky he didn't get hurt, poor ol' girl had a pretty rough go.

In open range cattle areas with no fences, you better pay attention though. It's not hard to see a cow, if you hit one.....you were going to fast, or not paying attention. Get your checkbook out and pay for the loss that you just caused, and if it was their "prized animal" get into your kids college fund for all I care, just own up to your own mistake.

In open range cattle areas with no fences, you better pay attention though. It's not hard to see a cow, if you hit one.....you were going to fast, or not paying attention. Get your checkbook out and pay for the loss that you just caused, and if it was their "prized animal" get into your kids college fund for all I care, just own up to your own mistake.

Ever seen a black cow on a road without stripes in the dark ?

Long live Remmy700

Seen a horse standing in the middle of a lesser used road on my way to post this morning at 0530, can happen anywhere. Best one I've seen so far was an elephant walking down the side of highway, and no it wasn't pink. Weirdest part was the reaction of my wife (1st one at least), I got excited was said "DID YOU SEE THAT?!!!" and she nonchalantly said "Yeah, was that a elephant?"...o_O

Good advice. It's always a sticky situation when livestock are hit. There's so many nuances to the laws and everyone interprets them differently. As a livestock owner myself, I don't want them on the road with a potential to cause an accident. Even in my state, which is an open range state, it makes me uncomfortable, fearing liability of my cow gets hit. But it's not always possible to keep the cattle in all the time. They are, after all, animals. I always said there's two kinds of livestock owners...those whose cattle occasionally get out, and those who lie about it. Be careful out there and be ever watchful.

In Kentucky YOU are responsible for your stock and it must be kept off
public roads. Things are so crazy now if I hit a cow I would just go straight to my attorney and not risk a confrontation with the owner. Let him earn his keep!
You can put a Lien on his livestock until he settles with you..

Last edited:
Imo, city folks drive to fast.
Here, you are more likely to run into an Elk, most people put cow catchers on their trucks to be safe.
Those little cars look dangerous to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.