Hitting a softball at 1000 yds

It seems like this thread has ran a bit off topic for some (shocking, right). My criticism had nothing to do with shooting big game at 1,000+ yards or practical sized targets. I've ran 5 for 5 on 1 MOA plates with factory ammo several times out to 1,000 yards. Ran my 20" 308 to 1,000 yards with factory ammo. Got hits at 1,400 yards with factory ammo on a 2/3 sized IPSC plenty of times. Shooting a 12" target at 1,000+ yards is absolutely doable for a lot of guys. Getting hits at 600 yards under various conditions can feel like a chip shot if you practice enough.

My criticism was directly related to the claims in the OPs post. To be a CONSISTENT sub 0.36 MOA shot at 1,000 yards with a hunting rifle has a particular context. That doesn't mean that you get a free flyer to get your wind call. That doesn't mean "when I do my part" or "that was a called flyer". And it doesn't meant that you had a 0.36 MOA group that was a foot from center.

I've shot some 1.5 inch 5 shot groups testing loads in the evening at Williamsport. And I would never bet I could hit a softball on the first shot. Ever. I'm not good enough.
Shep

I've hit clay pigeons at 1000. But I wouldnt say I'm consistent. Heck I'm not even consistent on a milk jug at 1000. Sure I can generally blow up the milk jug in 2-5 shots, but as far as groups go I cant consistently keep my group inside the milk jug. Theres a difference between doing it once and doing it everytime! People think because it happened once then that's what they are capable of! I shot a 3 shot group with my 6.5 at 1350 that all fit in the palm of my hand. No way in a million years that would happen to me again!
Your Hand or the hands of Wilt Chamberland! LOL

Long range hunting is not a specific yardage number, it's a distance limited by shooter, platform, conditions and retained bullet energy.

Everyone has their own distance limit. Each caliber has it's own distance limit by virtue of bullet weight, retained energy and hunting application.

This I believe is why the long range hunting distance debate gets lively, everyone is talking from their particular point of view, subject to their own limits, each one being very different.

There is long range hunting, and unfortunately, there is irresponsible conduct by those who are less proficient and do not understand their caliber limit.

i agree in general with your statement........My commentary was directed to those that were essentially "condemning", or calling out "BS" on distances that many on this site would consider well within the boundaries of LRH. In quoting my post you altered the "context" of my original post by leaving out the details..................This practice seems to be gaining in popularity these days...

i agree in general with your statement........My commentary was directed to those that were essentially "condemning", or calling out "BS" on distances that many on this site would consider well within the boundaries of LRH. In quoting my post you altered the "context" of my original post by leaving out the details..................This practice seems to be gaining in popularity these days...
The OP was about what makes or will make a hunting rifle accurate enough to hit a softball consistently at 1K. Or maybe the OP was highlighting the fact bogus claims are being made, not sure.
LR hunting was never the topic, ability or not, "E" or not.

This thread reminds me of when a friend and I were talking about the extraordinary vision of antelope. He asked how far I thought they could see, and I said, well, I guessed several million light years. They can see the stars, can't they?

Is there someone on this forum that
a)Claims he/she can hit a softball consistently at 1000 yards
b)Has access to a 1000 yard range
c)Is honest enough to tell how many shots did it actually take?

My commentary was directed to those that were essentially "condemning", or calling out "BS" on distances that many on this site would consider well within the boundaries of LRH.

The first message says "I've talked to several guys in the past who all claim their hunting rifles can consistently hit a softball size target at 1000 yds." It's not about long range hunting in general or even hitting to a certain size of kill zone under certain conditions. A soft ball is a ridiculously small target compared to a kill zone of most of the animals.

I call that claim BS and I'd love to make a bet with _anyone_ who claims he/she is able to do that. How about you?

(Of course we have to define consistently, but let's say more than 50% of the shots which is way less certain than what any hunter should require to make the shot.)

This thread reminds me of when a friend and I were talking about the extraordinary vision of antelope. He asked how far I thought they could see, and I said, well, I guessed several million light years. They can see the stars, can't they?
I think I know that goat....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.