Hitting a softball at 1000 yds

Rifle being capable and shooter being capable are two different things.......

Lots of custom long range rifles are capable, with the right ammo. The shooter being able to make it happen consistently, factoring in environmentals, is a different story. Wind, mirage, etc are all wild cards at 1000 yards. Sometimes people will take their 100 yard group size and extrapolate that out to a 1000 yard group. Example, "my gun will shoot a 1/2" group at 100, so I can hit a 5" target no problem at 1000". That's the kind of person who most likely has never shot at 1000 yards. Most factory ammo doesn't have a low enough velocity extreme spread to group well vertically at that range. So you have to have a rifle that is capable, a well tuned load, and be pretty **** good (or lucky) calling the wind to hit a target that sized consistently at that range.
Well said! in my case even if the Rifle and ammo was capable I AM NOT. LOL

Deep creek did a study on this idea. They tracked the bench rest shooters shooting 1000 yards. Two spotters. First round hit about 30% and second round hit 90%. This is from a range with wind flags. I have this report somewhere I need to look for it. OBTW its a 20" bull.

A softball is ~3.8-inches in diameter, which is about 0.36 MOA. It's one thing to be consistent 0.36 MOA shooting from a bench with windrow lanes, etc. It's a whole other thing to claim 0.36 MOA consistency including first shot wind call, shooting from field positions (i.e. away from a bench, using gear you pack, etc.), and shooting in field conditions (crappy weather, wind conditions in unknown areas, etc) which is what would be required in a hunting situation. Hunting is not benchrest.

If a guy is consistently within 0.36 MOA with his first shot wind call at 1,000 yards in an unknown area in field positions, he is one of the top shooters in the world. Run the numbers, for most hunting cartridges, that means you are consistently calling wind correctly within +/- 0.5-mph.

So either you run in a pretty elite circle, or maybe some guys like to exaggerate their skill levels. It's hard for a lot of folks to accept that they are not as good as they would like to be. That's why you see fingers pointed everywhere but themselves.....it's my SD, I mean barrel harmonics, I mean seating depth, I mean my barrel sped up, please let it be anything other than me, haha.
I know it's me both of my long-range rifles definitely shoot better than I do

I've talked to several guys in the past who all claim their hunting rifles can consistently hit a softball size target at 1000 yds. I'd love to hear whether this is a factory rifle or custom. If it's a custom, what components these rifles use, what ammo components are used as well.
They are probably all shooting hammer bullets...🧐🙄🤪

Shooting paper at 1000 yards can be humbling. It's not terrible hard to ring a 16" steel plate at 1000 especially after a sighter shot but a 8" plate is a whole different ballgame. You can shoot the edges a whole lot on a bigger plate and still make some noise and feel pretty good about your self until you start shooting at smaller and smaller plates.

I can tell you when we pick up our steel after a good shooting session there usually aren't a whole lot of shots in the spray paint can base sized bullseye and I think those are around 2.5".

Lets up the ainty...

It sounds like your friends claim the soft ball at 1000 yards is kind of bland to them,,, if this is the case,,, head down range with a ping-pong ball and set it up at 1700 meters,,, just over a mile...

First of the group to tag it gets a free ping-pong paddle,,, at the end of the year none of your friends will win the PPP,,, not because they couldn't see the ping-pong ball,,, its because you hung it on a 3 foot fishing line with 20 to 30 mpr cross winds... lol...

At least they will walk away with the first place last loser awards... Ha

The ping-pong ball on a line at 600 meters with zero wind is darn tuff to tag,,, very few shooters can nail 3 of them consecutively back to back to back at the 1 mile mark...

If they can,,, dont forget to stop and buy a 100 million dollar lottery ticket,,, might as well double up the odds... Ha

Of course Ive been known to be more wrong then right my whole life,,, now if I can get my black powder rifle to tag a large watermelon at 100 yards I'd be happy...

Hunter 67 you talking Deep cr. Msla,MT. I know a few spent alot off time there.The're world class.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.