Hit the brakes!

I have a muzzle diameter break on a .270wby. It works well but a larger diameter brake that is built correct will displace more air and make it work better than a muzzle diameter one. Larger ones look a little funky but sure work well...

Muzzle brakes have came a long ways in recent yrs concerning effectiveness. IMO, today, reduction of recoil starts with the size of area of the first port coming out of the barrel. Direction too.
If you machine a brake down to a .620" dia of the muzzle, it will not be nearly as effective as one made or turned down to .900" or bigger.
I am not 100% here but in pistol compensators(brakes), a certain amount of gas is needed to make them work in your favor. So i would think rifle brakes should or could work this way based off design.

Have any of you ever installed a brake that was turned down to the muzzle diameter? If so, what were the effects? I don't like the look of that flared barrel end, it reminds me of bell-bottomed pants.
Are you looking for esthetics or effectiveness? The only rifle (it came with it) I have that is turned down to match the muzzle diameter is with a Vais brake, and it sucks compared to my other muzzle brakes.

Last edited:
You cannot discount the "cool factor" Star Wars appearance of the big brakes. 😂 But, to answer your question.... once upon a time(90's) KDF produced the "Slim Line" brake. It seemed very effective in reducing felt recoil and made muzzle blast unbearable (without ear protection)! I had the lightest contour of barrel that Douglas offered for the .375, and the brake was the same diameter as the barrel. As I was "NOT" going to wear plugs/muffs while hunting, it was quickly disposed of! My 9 pound .375 AI simply does not recoil enough to warrant a brake! If I shot lots of rounds from the bench, I would probably reconsider a brake! memtb

BTW, I have a Heavy Palma contour to 26" so the muzzle should be just under 0.9" (my guess). I'll probably just have to learn to live with the ugly tip on a classic rifle.
basketball wives ugh GIF by VH1

Very effective brake.

Very effective brake.
I got the Area419 already so...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.