History's Sniper show

Len, Montanarifleman pretty much summed it up

Adapt, Improvise and Overcome.

What the cadre are watching for is the last word, "overcome". They tell you up front the only way out is to "quit". Foot stress fractures are very common and one guy managed to stress fracture both. The guy has casts on both feet and will recycle back through and try again when he is medically fit. Medical is the only way you get to try again. On Day 7, Phil's right foot went into a stump hole in the dark and a bone fractured. He made it through the last three days on that foot. He said the pain at night was so intense he could not sleep and it would take half an hour in the morning before everything would start working well enough to keep on going. Fortunately the intense physical part and passing the PT test was behind him.

Humorously enough, these guys actually have to pass a second more stringent IQ test in order to be selected. :D

While the videos are of special forces it really applies to everyone from the sniper to the medic to the RTO. I will often poke fun at the Marines, but they also pretty much get through things with just that one thought "overcome".

"Humorously enough, these guys actually have to pass a second more stringent IQ test in order to be selected. :D"
It's higher than the minimum for officers:D

Well luck or not a kill is a kill. I'm sure these guys are great shots, and made awesome shots under adverse conditions. These soldiers are making these shots while exhausted, sleep deprived, hungry, and most likely dehydrated, and sometimes in body armor. In iraq and in afghanistan it is either really hot or really cold, with temp swings of 40 deg sometimes, so that sucks. Most guys that get deployed don't have all the equipment they need to include rifles. When they get overseas they most likely "fall in" on the outgoing units long guns, and don't have things like ballistic programs handy to get data for their gun, let alone the time to verify the data they get. More than likely most guys get to zero it and thats it. In a perfect world a sniper would deploy with the gun he went to school with, used the entire work up, shot multiple times a month, and could pick out of a line up just by the feel of the bolt. But it just doesn't happen like that a lot of times. You get overseas are handed a rifle you have never shot and are expected to work miracles. In a situation like that you need all the luck you can get. I'm not making excuses for missed shots, but sometimes it happens. These guys adapted and overcame. 1st round impacts are nice, but like I said a kill is a kill. When it is all said and done you just killed a man that might have killed you or a friend, regardless of how many shots it took. Well i'm going to load some rounds and go shooting. Everybody have a good weekend.gun) "miss reengage".

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.