His AR15 blew up

Retired Infantry. Saw two perfectly good M16A2s blown in half during training at NTC FT Irwin CA during Desert Shield live fire exercise (M1s, BFVs, Infantry, Combat Engineers, the whole Heavy BCT) clearing simulated Iraqi trenches on same day - no one hurt. High adventure with tank rounds and 25mm blowing entry points and Infantry pouring into trenches to clear. Extremely dusty, sandy, dirty conditions. My hypothesis - M16A2s got dirty/dusty and jammed. When Soldiers stripped the live rounds out the projectile stayed in the lands and the brass came out. Used forward assist and muscle to drive fresh round in and .....

Retired Infantry. Saw two perfectly good M16A2s blown in half during training at NTC FT Irwin CA during Desert Shield live fire exercise (M1s, BFVs, Infantry, Combat Engineers, the whole Heavy BCT) clearing simulated Iraqi trenches on same day - no one hurt. High adventure with tank rounds and 25mm blowing entry points and Infantry pouring into trenches to clear. Extremely dusty, sandy, dirty conditions. My hypothesis - M16A2s got dirty/dusty and jammed. When Soldiers stripped the live rounds out the projectile stayed in the lands and the brass came out. Used forward assist and muscle to drive fresh round in and .....
IMHO, the forward assist always was a fix to an issue that should have never been. I never had to use it. They are very lucky.

I heard of an AR blowing up at a Washington gun range and the guy had minimal injuries but wanted his gun but the RO at the range said NO the Sheriffs office gets it and does a inspection.The guy had it built by someone and wanted to get his money back but no luck as he used reloaded ammo which voided the warrenty.
Just another reason why I want to get rid of my 2 AR 15's with all the accessories if anyone close enough is interested.
Old Rooster
That's not how personal property works. If something I own malfunctions that doesn't mean a LEO suddenly owns it. I'd have told the RO to F right off and put the gun in my truck on principal.

Take a look at this. His AR15 blew up at .21 seconds into the video. He was very lucky. Eye protection on. Pride hurt more than him. Make sure your ammo and gun are correct and up to the task. Food for thought.Thank goodness it was not a complete catastrophe!

I'm gonna say completely staged and intentional! He's way to calm for it to have been a surprise

I heard of an AR blowing up at a Washington gun range and the guy had minimal injuries but wanted his gun but the RO at the range said NO the Sheriffs office gets it and does a inspection.The guy had it built by someone and wanted to get his money back but no luck as he used reloaded ammo which voided the warrenty.
Just another reason why I want to get rid of my 2 AR 15's with all the accessories if anyone close enough is interested.
Old Rooster
Old rooster,
I'm sure you did hear that story of the AR, Rangemaster, and Sheriff. But I don't think my friend it would have gone down that way... Being a 25-year LEO vet of Washington State, I'm pretty sure someone may have embellished that story they told you, not the first time someone blew a story up involving AR, accidents, and LEO believe me. The only way the LEO would have gotten involved in that would have been if someone was hurt, besides the owner of the weapon. Rifle/pistol range have absolutely no right to confiscate a personal firearm end of the story. They can ask you to leave, or they can report it to LEO, but... that's it. Unless you threaten (immediate and dangerous threat) some other person on the range, well... at that point, it would be a pretty commonsense thing. I'm pretty sure range officers in Washington have no powers of arrest nor can they seize privet property. Just my 0.2 my friend, I think the guy that told you didn't have it quite right. Cheers.

Did that look like an abnormal amt. of smoke from previous rounds fired or is it me?

looked like a ML. Play it over a few times, when it blew nothing came out the muzzle. Also, a previous shot you could see the bullet leave - not supposed to be able to see one from a side view.

Last edited: