Hiking axe/bushcrafting knife?

I carry a small hatchet instead of a large knife. It is much better for making emergency shelters, firewood or driving tent pegs. It is also much better for breaking down large animals.
How do you buy from them. Looks like Europeans only

How do you buy from them. Looks like Europeans only
type the makers name in and do a search I did on e-bay and got one at a big savings. almost like a hand axe a big luka grate for cutting up moose, buffalo ect

Attachments

• 102402254_3056279621122488_7804430484875929300_o.jpg
    102402254_3056279621122488_7804430484875929300_o.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
for years up here I carried the Alaska knife set work fine like the old set made here in alaska not sure about them now that gerber has them

Victorinox skinning and flexible 6 inch boning knife...sometimes just a Mora. If I am going to cut out elk antlers, I bring back a bone saw after my first load of meat. I skin and debone one half then roll over and do the same on the other half. Then cut next to the spine and reach in/remove the tenderloins. I don't bother to even gut the animal.

For me it's a Bark River Gunny and a small Gerber folding saw with the bone saw in it. If it's where I could get into some trouble I add a GB wildlife hatchet in with those 2.

jdjtexas make a good point. I know this is a little off subject, but I carry a Leatherman every day. It is my EDC along with a CCW. The Leatherman comes in so handy. About 15 years ago I was at a local Walmart and the manager of the Sporting Goods dept was always putting items on for sale at 50-60-70% off just to make room for new items. I got many "Old Henry" knives USA made for almost nothing. All are collectable now. I went in one day and these Leatherman "Juice" were originally $40 and marked down to $5. I bought the last (6). Jill has one in her purse, I carry one, put one in my hunting/shooting pack and gave away the other three. I can't believe how solid these are and the blade is good steel and razor sharp. A plus is that it doesn't take up any space and you always have a few tools to get you out of a jam.
I suggest everyone carry a Leatherman in their packs.

Attachments

• Leatherman.jpg
    Leatherman.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Leatherman1.jpg
    Leatherman1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Leatherman2.jpg
    Leatherman2.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 123
Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf for skinning and processing and a KoA Camp Knife for chores. If camping or needing something more I pack a Norlund Hudson Bay axe. Old faithful!

I'll take a tomahawk or small axe over a big knife every time. For the weight of a big knife you can pack a much handier tool.
If I'm hunting or breaking down an animal deer size or smaller I pack a tomahawk it's plenty to break pelvis and split chest. Weighs right at a pound is just enough of a handy tool to take everywhere. It'll pound tent stakes or clear shooting lanes it stays on my belt or in my pack. It'll cut kindling or help clean small game with ease, I'm not taking it to chop down trees or drive nails all day but it's handy enough to always have. I carried one during my stint in Afghanistan where ounces count and used it more than I ever did a big fixed blade. We all had to have pig stickers before deploying and I watched them gradually be left behind when we went out. I'll carry a good folding knife for normal stuff, when hunting I take a 4" fixed blade because it's easier to clean up and care for.
This is the one I chose and its been a **** good one
If you're really worried about weight this maybe even more your speed.
Owning a couple different axes from fiskars and granfors bruk I hate to admit it but I use the fiskars more than the bruks. They ride on sxs or tractor with me every time I'm on the farm, I keep the bruks at the house for polite work. The x15 from fiskars is light holds a good edge, easy enough to sharpen and half the price of bruks. Just big enough to clear farm paths and most fallen limbs, I'm still selective on their use but if they're dropped or chipped it's not as big an ordeal. The x27 is the only splitting tool I'll use anymore I absolutely love the thing. I don't burn enough wood in winter to need anything else, it takes a few minutes to adjust after swinging 8-12lb mauls your whole life but I love it.
I have the Granfors Bruks small forest axe which I haven't owned long enough to decide on yet but the hunters axe which I took to Alaska is enough to clean and quarter moose without being bulky. Fine for camp wood, holds an edge like a good knife. I can live without them but are really nice so I use and care for them like the fine tools they are.

I'll take a tomahawk or small axe over a big knife every time. For the weight of a big knife you can pack a much handier tool.
If I'm hunting or breaking down an animal deer size or smaller I pack a tomahawk it's plenty to break pelvis and split chest. Weighs right at a pound is just enough of a handy tool to take everywhere. It'll pound tent stakes or clear shooting lanes it stays on my belt or in my pack. It'll cut kindling or help clean small game with ease, I'm not taking it to chop down trees or drive nails all day but it's handy enough to always have. I carried one during my stint in Afghanistan where ounces count and used it more than I ever did a big fixed blade. We all had to have pig stickers before deploying and I watched them gradually be left behind when we went out. I'll carry a good folding knife for normal stuff, when hunting I take a 4" fixed blade because it's easier to clean up and care for.
This is the one I chose and its been a **** good one
If you're really worried about weight this maybe even more your speed.
Owning a couple different axes from fiskars and granfors bruk I hate to admit it but I use the fiskars more than the bruks. They ride on sxs or tractor with me every time I'm on the farm, I keep the bruks at the house for polite work. The x15 from fiskars is light holds a good edge, easy enough to sharpen and half the price of bruks. Just big enough to clear farm paths and most fallen limbs, I'm still selective on their use but if they're dropped or chipped it's not as big an ordeal. The x27 is the only splitting tool I'll use anymore I absolutely love the thing. I don't burn enough wood in winter to need anything else, it takes a few minutes to adjust after swinging 8-12lb mauls your whole life but I love it.
I have the Granfors Bruks small forest axe which I haven't owned long enough to decide on yet but the hunters axe which I took to Alaska is enough to clean and quarter moose without being bulky. Fine for camp wood, holds an edge like a good knife. I can live without them but are really nice so I use and care for them like the fine tools they are.
always liked tjhe ax do most of my skinning ect with one

Attachments

• PICT0001-11.JPG
    PICT0001-11.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 93