Highly Reduced loads?

The only reduced loads I've come across, and I use them a lot, is with Hodgdon' H4895.
You use the maximum published load Hodgdon has for the cartridge and bullet weight and multiply by 0.6.
The result is the lowest recommended charge of H4895 for that combination.

It's explained on the Hodgdon website.

So, random question for you smart people out there. Doesn't have anything to do with long range hunting or precision reloading, but it's reloading non the less.
I know reloading any round way below book values can be very dangerous in a firearm, but what about a bang stick? The reasoning behind this is to reduce damage to the animal when discharged. I'd like maybe 2-3" max of penetration.
I am getting ready for gator season and for the first year I'm going to use a bang stick. I picked one up with a 45LC/410 (slug only?) power head. I have plenty of brass/bullets for the 45 LC, and I reload for it. I'm wondering if there is any danger if I load a few at like 10% normal load values if there's any danger with it? I'll make sure I make it apparent which ones they are so I don't shoot out if my pistol. I figure if there's no barrel for the bullet to get stuck in pressure always has a way to escape the second the bullet leaves the casing?
Don't want to kill or maim myself by trying, figured I'd ask first. Thanks!

Ryan
Not a good idea at all. More likely to explode vice burn the powder. Use published mins only.

The no barrel part is key. You wont get speed without pressure. You wont get pressure (from a book load) without a barrel. Use factory level loads. You wont get factory speeds at all.
Soft cast bullets deform at lower speeds than hard bullets and penetrate less (especially once deformed). Harder bullets dont deform and usually penetrate more with a given nose shape.

Cast bullet shooters use reduced loads all of the time. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?242378-IMR-4064-Reduced-Starting-Loads-For-Cast. But the criteria is there has to be a "listed max load" for your cartridge for IMR 4064. I have tried it in a rifle case and IMR 4064 works at 0.6 max load of IMR 4064. As mentioned, either H4895 or Trail Boss are known powders to work with. Follow the rules for them!!!!!! Extraction can be a problem for fired cases wiith reduced laods.

IOT limit penetration yet still deliver a lethal load on contact why not get some Speer shot capsules. Fill them with #10 shot and load as the directions state. I use Unique or SR 7625. The shot load will adequately penetrate severing the spinal column but won't travel through the head to exit.

My SPEER #10 reloading manual lists numerous loads well below 1000 fps. Bullseye, Unique, IMR 4227, Red-Dot, and Green-Dot are the most common powders among many choices.

So, random question for you smart people out there. Doesn't have anything to do with long range hunting or precision reloading, but it's reloading non the less.
I know reloading any round way below book values can be very dangerous in a firearm, but what about a bang stick? The reasoning behind this is to reduce damage to the animal when discharged. I'd like maybe 2-3" max of penetration.
I am getting ready for gator season and for the first year I'm going to use a bang stick. I picked one up with a 45LC/410 (slug only?) power head. I have plenty of brass/bullets for the 45 LC, and I reload for it. I'm wondering if there is any danger if I load a few at like 10% normal load values if there's any danger with it? I'll make sure I make it apparent which ones they are so I don't shoot out if my pistol. I figure if there's no barrel for the bullet to get stuck in pressure always has a way to escape the second the bullet leaves the casing?

Ryan
If your objective is to reduce your loads, please consider Trailboss powder. It is an excellent powder with which to fill your cartridge and achieve reduced performance. Check the manufacturer's load date. I have used it successfully in my 7mm and .270.

I was thinking black powder or BP substitute (bh209) too. Burns much slower, could fill case without a lot of pressure. Keeps pressure up for longer because of the slower burn. But I'm no expert on this subject. I do shoot quite a bit of BH 209 in my muzzleloaders though.

Ryan
Get a long lanyard if you're determined to test one.

Ryan
When you fire a bullet from a firearm much of the energy that a projectile gets comes from the pressure in the barrel as the projectile is accelerated down the barrel. Once it leaves the barrel the gasses escape and no longer affect the projectile. Since you have zero barrel length the bullet energy will be low compared to the same load fired down a barrel. There isn't much load data available for that.

I'd check with hunters who have more experience with a bang stick, maybe Florida wildlife officers would be of help.

Lacking that a search online (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6463779/) indicates that 400 Joules 295 ft-lbs) is sufficient to kill a cow 98% of the time & a large bull 82% of the time. That may be a good starting point? That seems to be about half the power of a .410 slug load (shot out of a barrel). A light commercial load in a bang stick might not be too far off. I'd maybe try that for the first time to establish a baseline? I'd rather not have a gator wake up in the boat, or have to try for a second attempt on a ****ed off gator thrashing around.

Ryan

Hi just got back from a gator hunt this last year.

Local game biologist/ wardens recommended 20ga steel shot #6 standard loads. This was to reduce damage to the meat/hide. It doesn't penetration as deep but still has plenty of umph to instantly dispatch them. THIS WILL NOT PENETRATION SKULL reliably, however. If you know about gators you know you don't want to shoot them on the skull anyway. Quick Google search for shot placement (juts behind the skull/very top of neck). Worked like a charm for me on a 12 ft gator. I've killed one gator in my life so feel free to check with more experienced folks also of course. I wouldn't reinvent the wheel. Lean on experience.

I will add I didn't use a bangstick, but a stand rem 870 shotgun.

Ryan
Some may have more experience with this, but I have a friend that loads down his 45-70 to 850 FPS by putting in Dacron pillow stuffing between low powder charge and back of bullet, this maybe dangerous, I have not personally tried it but he has had good luck with very quite loads. Not much range but penitrates hog heads at 40 yards with 500 grain lead bullets, it Keeps powder against primer. Have heard the danger point is large air volume and powder laying on side of case while case is in horizontal position in fire arm.