Highly Reduced loads?

Ross1147

So, random question for you smart people out there. Doesn't have anything to do with long range hunting or precision reloading, but it's reloading non the less.
I know reloading any round way below book values can be very dangerous in a firearm, but what about a bang stick? The reasoning behind this is to reduce damage to the animal when discharged. I'd like maybe 2-3" max of penetration.
I am getting ready for gator season and for the first year I'm going to use a bang stick. I picked one up with a 45LC/410 (slug only?) power head. I have plenty of brass/bullets for the 45 LC, and I reload for it. I'm wondering if there is any danger if I load a few at like 10% normal load values if there's any danger with it? I'll make sure I make it apparent which ones they are so I don't shoot out if my pistol. I figure if there's no barrel for the bullet to get stuck in pressure always has a way to escape the second the bullet leaves the casing?
Don't want to kill or maim myself by trying, figured I'd ask first. Thanks!

Ryan

Yes, it still turns into an explosion. Heed the minimums is my advise. If you want to limit penetration you may want to find some shotshell loads or if you have a machinist buddy have him make you some really light bullets, aluminum maybe. Then use normal charges to get the case fill correct.

Oh, I would use a gun before a bang stick but it's illegal in FL to even have one with you in the boat! I have some wad cutters that are fairly mild loads I'll run in it. We have used a hog spear in the past that works, just leaves large holes in the skin. Figured a bang stick will keep damage to head region only. Thanks for the input!

Ok, imagine this, bang stick blows up, you are injured. You fall in the water. Now you are gator bait with all your blood

I would visit pawn shops and try to find a beat to crap 22 mag.

This is a easy button. In Florida on a state lottery draw you can only use a bang stick and have to severe spinal cord before putting in a boat and tagged. I worked as a state trapper and found a bang stick just more gear and unnecessary for us. But on a state hunt there are rules to follow. As trappers we caught most alive as it was some long days and nights and many miles traveled. You don't have to ice down a live gator

Thanks

Buck

Yeah, I'll see if I can find 410 slugs. I may have some, need to dig through my boxes. Wonder why they don't revoked 410 birdshot through it?

So started watching some YouTube videos and reading fishing forums and it looks like I'll be just fine using normal 45LC rounds. People are using 357mag and 44mag bang sticks and they aren't getting pass throughs with those rounds. My main concern was pass throughs because some of the best hide IMO is on the bottom of the jaw. A 45LC at cowboy pressures is anemic compared to 44mag so should be fine!