high velocity 6.5 bullet choice?

midwesthunter

Building a 6.5 STW, plans are to shoot a 140 bullet at 3400. Now from what i have heard bergers will vaporize out of barrel or on impact of game, so has anyone shot any of the other high BC bullets? SMK 142, Lapua scenar 139, Amax 140, or acubond 140? I know cutting edge bullets will work but they only have 130's right now and will be coming out with 140's but will need a faster twist then 1-8

I've taken game using my 6.5-06AI with 140 Amax, and 140 SST with great sucess. My MV is a little lower than yours will be, at around 3000 fps, but have had no issues with either bullet on game. The SST has a little lower BC, but I found MUCH better performance on game than the Amax.

I haven't found the 140 AB around here, only the 130s. The SST does so well in my rifle that I tend to use it for everything.

For larger game the 140 Partition does very well, too. Word is Nosler is introducing a 140 BT that should rock as well. I use BT in other calibers with MV in the 3200-3400 fps range and have excellent luck on medium game (deer) with those...

Have fun with your build!

Brian

I like the A-Max. I use the 155s with 300wsm and load then in friends 30.06 with great results on deer. I traded off a 700 6.5-06 which my buddy used to fold up a big Virginia doe at 516yards with the 140gr. A-Max. The sst is a great bullet also, but I don't like the canelure. As far as the begers go, I don't think you'll have any trouble. They will penetrate before they blow up, resulting in instant kills. The only time they would give you trouble would be firing a 10 shot string. At that velocity when the barrel gets hot, it will cause the lead to melt inside the hunting vlds due to the thin jacket. You shouldn't have any problems with the thicker target vlds, but they wont be as lethal on game. The scenars would be another great choice and for the price the nosler custom competition would be hard to beat. Don't forget about the match kings. They would be my decline choice to the A-max. Good luck!

I would not choose the hunting Bergers at that velocity as they may well blow in mid air with an 8 twist! You might actually be better off with the target Bergers but beware using them at long range as they probably won't expand. The SST's also blew in mid air at 3450' in my RUM and that was with an 11 twist. The Nosler AB's and partitions will work but you sacrifice b.c. If your rifle will group them, the Swift Scirroco is a very good all around bullet. Good b.c., holds together at velocity, and expands at lower velocity. Remember what your primary use will be and choose from there. THERE IS NO PERFECT BULLET! ..........Rich

I like the A-Max. I use the 155s with 300wsm and load then in friends 30.06 with great results on deer. I traded off a 700 6.5-06 which my buddy used to fold up a big Virginia doe at 516yards with the 140gr. A-Max. The sst is a great bullet also, but I don't like the canelure. As far as the begers go, I don't think you'll have any trouble. They will penetrate before they blow up, resulting in instant kills. The only time they would give you trouble would be firing a 10 shot string. At that velocity when the barrel gets hot, it will cause the lead to melt inside the hunting vlds due to the thin jacket. You shouldn't have any problems with the thicker target vlds, but they wont be as lethal on game. The scenars would be another great choice and for the price the nosler custom competition would be hard to beat. Don't forget about the match kings. They would be my decline choice to the A-max. Good luck!

What?? A 10 shot string will cause the lead to melt inside the vld's??

I have had good accuracy results with the 130 gr Scirrocco II at 3200 fps. The listed BC for that bullet is .571 but I don't know if that is accurate or not (thinking might be a little high)

The Scirrrocco II is 100% bonded bullet and should not come apart and is known for forming a large mushroom, which impedes penetration a little. I have only shot 2 hogs with it so far and had passthru's on both with 50 cent size exits and DRT

I have been shooting 140 bergers at 3450 with absolutly no problems in my 6.5 dakota. I also have been shooting the accubond,much less bc but good to 600 yards at the same velocity. I have 2 guns,1 at 1-8 and one at 1-9 and both seem to shoot equaly as well. seat them just off the lands. Talking to a guide in arizona he said they had no problems with the bergers on elk and in fact they recommened them. my two cents

What?? A 10 shot string will cause the lead to melt inside the vld's??

Yea. At least thats what Berger claims to be the reason for making the target line of vlds. As the barrel heats up toward the end of a string, the lead melts and starts coming out of the tip during flight do to the thin jacket. They fixed this rare problem by thickening the jacket, but the thicker bullet wasn't as effective on game. Thats the reason for two lines of vlds. The hunting line is the same vld thats been around for years and the target line was recently developed to correct the problem of which you question. If it wasn't for that, there would only be one Berger vld.

Yea. At least thats what Berger claims to be the reason for making the target line of vlds. As the barrel heats up toward the end of a string, the lead melts and starts coming out of the tip during flight do to the thin jacket. They fixed this rare problem by thickening the jacket, but the thicker bullet wasn't as effective on game. Thats the reason for two lines of vlds. The hunting line is the same vld thats been around for years and the target line was recently developed to correct the problem of which you question. If it wasn't for that, there would only be one Berger vld.

I understand the thin vs thick jacket coing apart from too much rotation (centrigugal force) I've done that! I understand the thick jacket not working for hunting. What I DON'T understand is how the lead is melting inside the bullet resulting from a 10 shot string? I'm not in any way picking on you, it just doesn't make any sense to me? If shooting a 10 shot string caused enough heat in the chamber/barrel to melt lead, it seems you would have far more serious problems than lead melting in a bullet! I must be missing something here? I know that the heat created at the time of ignition is plenty hot enough to melt lead, but it takes duration to accomplish this. I don't understand where this ten shot string comes into play. Maybe someone can help me out here.........Rich

I looked back over the information I read and it mentions this problem happening during strings of competition fire. It does not however say that the string of fire had anything to do with the lead cores melting. Im more a hunter than a target shooter, and just repeated what I thought I read. It didn't make much sense to me either but I didn't question it too much coming from Berger. But you made me look over it again and it doesn't say what causes the bullets core to overheat. But I dont see why target shooters would have this problem and hunters wouldn't. Missing a chance at winning a competition is bad, but missing a shot on a once in a lifetime elk seems worse to me. Maybe you can help me out there. From what ive seen on this site you seem to be one if the most experienced members.

I looked back over the information I read and it mentions this problem happening during strings of competition fire. It does not however say that the string of fire had anything to do with the lead cores melting. Im more a hunter than a target shooter, and just repeated what I thought I read. It didn't make much sense to me either but I didn't question it too much coming from Berger. But you made me look over it again and it doesn't say what causes the bullets core to overheat. But I dont see why target shooters would have this problem and hunters wouldn't. Missing a chance at winning a competition is bad, but missing a shot on a once in a lifetime elk seems worse to me. Maybe you can help me out there. From what ive seen on this site you seem to be one if the most experienced members.

Actually, I was just getting ready to respond to you so your timing was perfect. It would appear that what you stated has some validity according to Berger. I think the important point to make here is that it may apply to competition, but would be a highly unlikely event in a hunting situation. Bryan Litz told me that it only occurs in dirty bores where shots are fired in rapid succession, and in calibers of 6.5 or less. IMO this would eliminate 90+ % of hunting situations. Anyway, one can always learn something new, so thank you for your post.....Rich:)

I shoot with a friend that shoots 1000 bench. 6mm dasher and he has shot alot of berger 105. He usually shoots a string of five in about 4 seconds. I have timed him. This is in part I think his success. Now this is a bench gun, free recoil and his rest has a crank w/ pulley for quick adjust and a built in bullet holder on left , left port bottom drop for case on a alum. action for light gun class. They get a siter before round. Then it is ten shots for score. If he thinks conditions are optimum he sends them like hot cakes. That is fast shooting when you see him single load and send em.But they want the exact wind conditions for tight group. If they miss wind read , they might have a win group, not even on target.

I am shooting the 130 AB at 3350 fps our of my 264 Win mag and have taken 5 deer from 80 to 250 yards and it has worked perfectly. Recovered one bullet shot in a buck at 111 yards almost facing me bullet entered left shoulder and was recovered in right ham. Text book mushroom and bullet weight was 87 grs.