high end brass no prep VS. lower end brass w/ prep?

Bigeclipse

Hey everyone,
I thought I'd get some feedback on what you all would do for brass in developing loads for a midrange rifle going out to say 500yards on big game.

Would you all prefer buying high end brass like lapua or nosler knowing you will not have to put much effort into brass prep OR would you spend the money on all the brass prep tools and buy lower end brass like say RP stamped or winchester brass and then do the major brass preps such as flash hole prep and neck turning?

Yes I know some of you do the volume sorting and prep I listed on the high end brass like lapua BUT again this is for 500 yard rifle accuracy on large game.

This is simply a discussion on the brass part of reloading. Please don't comment on comp dies and such.

My vote goes for the Lapua brass period. Prep it or use from box it will outperform any other and last much longer as well.

I have gone both routes. I prefer the high end brass when I can get it, but its not always available in my choice of calibers.

I can't really tell a difference in accuracy, but that may be due more to my limited abilities than the brass.

Chris

I like Lapua when I can get it not so much for the decreased prep time but rather the toughness of the brass which makes it last so much longer. Nosler or Norma are a bit better prepped than remington/winchester etc., but they don't offer any durability that I can see over the cheap stuff. Lapua is the only brass I'll willingly pay extra for. Of course in today's current environment most of the time you have to take what you can get and pay for it whether you like it or not.

I'm a fan of better quality brass like Lapua or similar. While the need for prep may not be eliminated, the consistency from piece to piece gives me peace of mind. Its worth the extra few dollars to me.

well, for hunting I think you can't go wrong either way, especially at only 500yds. I have run my current set of 25 338WM brass hard and they are going on 5 loadings with no noticeable stretch or pocket damage. I did all the little steps, flash hole pocket uniform and set the die to minimum bump which is making the brass least forever. BTW, its run of the mill Winchester bagged brass, didn't even weight sort and it offers all the accuracy and life I could ask for. load...... 75gr 7828ssc under 250gr hornady, rem 9 1/2mag primer

I like the idea of not prepping, but still find myself running premium brass through the sizer and etc to ensure I have the proper neck tension. However, like most I purchase and work with what is available.

I do the same brass prep whether it is high end brass or not. Still debur flash hole, uniform primer pocket, resize, trim, and clean up pass on necks for more consistent neck tension.
At present I am using Remington brass in my Edge, and Winchester brass in my 7 Rogue and have exceptional accuracy in both rifles.
Go ahead and get the brass prep tools

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.