High Country Velvet

ADMIN

Administrator
The tree line is a mile below. The scree fields are getting steeper and steeper as the shoot and forb fields are fading below. It's so steep in fact that I had to strap my bow to my pack simply as a matter of survival! More than once I simply told myself, "This is not worth it. Back out and let him go for today or you could end up dying doing what you love…"

I figure that sounds a little dramatic and maybe a touch over-emphasized but alas, I am not pulling your leg. Our high country Colorado hunt was filled with some of my best memories. Great friends, beautiful country and plentiful game; it doesn't get much better. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, High Country Velvet , By Marlon Holden. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

AWESOME STORY!!!
Great hunt, that is what dreams are made of. You will be thinking of ELK for a long time, and that dream will keep you pushing and maybe next year you can get him.
That buck is awesome looking. Great buck.
Thanks for sharing.

I know better than to ask what unit, but when in September was your season? A friend, brother-in-law, and myself did a high country mule deer hunt in Colorado two years ago. We saw 360 inch bull elk, seven different mountain goats, and zero bucks. LOL

I'm not one to get discouraged easily so I'm going back this year! We were hunting from September 2 through the 10th and I was curious if we were too late?

I came back second season that year and ended up sleeping which between a little jack pine and the hillside so that I wouldn't rolldown a scree field in the dark. I can definitely attest to your story!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.