high country arrows

my brother tried them when he had his ironmace he didn't have much luck with either and sold the bow and got another bowtec . they would shoot super fast but he had promblems with them shattering if they didnt hit the target right and they where pretty pricey

I donate some time to a local bowshop this time of year and when Highcountry came out with their all carbon bows they pushed these arrows allot as you could get 400+fps with them on that bow. We found them to be very brittle of they hit anything other than soft targets like a bag they would bust.

The deal with them is that they are very light for spine strength so basicaly you can shoot an arrow thats 3.5grs per pound of draw weight yet the spine of the arrow is still stiff enough to not damage the (ARROW) now that being said when you shoot an arrow much under 5 grs per pound of draw weight your gonna get into a dry firing effect and that realy hard on your bow , and realy realy hard on you if it happens to snap a limb off !!

Alot of guys get to hung up is the speed of their bow and yes its nice to have a bow that shoots 330fps but if it sounds like a 270 when you shoot it theirs not much point is their , you can't miss them fast enough to kill them

In a short answer ,I personaly would not waste my money on them.

Gold Tip's the way to go

I've done a lot of business through Tabe's archery in Shawnee Oklahoma. They've found that the HC arrows are fine as far as spine goes but the side wall durability is terrible. They've since switched to the Gold Tip target line of arrows. (600) They don't have as much spine to them but they do have decent side wall strength. That being said, you still don't want to shoot the same target as a slap from another arrow could cause problems.

Now to throw my $.02 in on the speed thing. Have you ever been faced with a deer at an unknown distance? You just know it's inside of 50yards, what to do? I simply bracket the chest cavity with my 30, 40, and 50 yard pins and smoke him. Can't do with a 280fps bow.

Now for the noise issue. If a bow is too loud do whatever it takes to quieten it down. This might mean a combination of things. On the other hand I find it hard to believe there is any bow out there that a deer couldn't hear inside of 50 yards.

I've seen a Iron Mace shoot 420fps and it's not as quiet as some other bows doing 280, but with the mods done to this bow it's as quiet as most.

After all, if a deer is high strung, chance are he's going to jump string. This is with any bow out there, 420fps decreases the margin of error.

thanks for the input guys. I have a 06 bowtech tribute and it is very quiet. I have been shooting st epic 340's. They are a great arrow and the most durable i have shot. I shot a tree 3 times in a row with the same arrow at 20yards set at 70lbs, I still shoot the arrow no damage at all. I have a big problem finding (h)nocks for them though. I had heard the hc were even stronger but it seams i got miss info. Im not really stuck on speed im just real hard on arrows

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.