High Capacity Mag for Henry Long Ranger - Question

Michael-AZ

Hi,
New to this forum and just bought a new Long Ranger (6.5 Creedmoor). I expected there would be plenty of after-market high cap mags available by now, but I am struggling to find one. Anyone know of a maker for this gun/caliber that is available in the US?

Hi,
New to this forum and just bought a new Long Ranger (6.5 Creedmoor). I expected there would be plenty of after-market high cap mags available by now, but I am struggling to find one. Anyone know of a maker for this gun/caliber that is available in the US?
I'm not aware of anyone making anything for them I just picked my long ranger in the 6.5 CM the other day. At first I was very unimpressed with the accuracy so I went back and did the break in procedure for a second time and got it to shoot pretty good for a lever action that is. I also had to fix the floating of the barrel & I wish someone made a better trigger for them
20210327_134600.jpg

20210327_134649.jpg

I did a lot of research before I bought mine. (I would have bought a Henry lever action anyway, but not necessarily for hunting.) I have read and watched a number of reviews going as far back as 5 years. All reviews were excellent, including accuracy at longer ranges (technically "mid-range" to long range enthusiasts). The one exception in all the reviews was the heavy trigger pull. I have seen it measured between 5.5lbs all the way up to a high of 7.25lbs. Everyone has the same comment - perfect rifle, if only they would do something about the trigger.

I am really surprised that there is not a more active after-market for Henry rifles. They have been around a long time and have a pretty loyal following. But there seems to be nothing serious out there in the way of after-market parts or modifications. I assumed such an established brand would have the same sort of availability as the AR platform. I worked with my son building his AR from the ground up, and the options for everything were almost limitless.

Almost resigned myself to one of the two picatinny rails and scope (only place I seem to have any real options). Take it to a range and zero it in. Go hunt. Rinse and repeat once in a while. Not really a hobby gun that I planned to constantly tinkering with.

The lever action would interfere with any substantially extended magazine. Also, one-handed carry would be reduced, since the balance point of the rifle is right underneath the magazine.

The lever action would interfere with any substantially extended magazine. Also, one-handed carry would be reduced, since the balance point of the rifle is right underneath the magazine.
Funny how the internet works. So I had been looking at a long ranger, thinking I would grab a 556 for plinking, and as a kind of neat little utility rifle. So I went down the review rabbit hole to see what the complaints were. This is something that came up as well, wanting a higher capacity mag. For me I don't really think I would have use for one, but I thought "what if I really wanted one for some reason?". So as you stated the main engineering issue is the clearance of the lever on any mag that wouldn't be flush. I thought to myself "surely with a company this big, with so many people buying their stuff someone solved this "problem" already. But it did not come up in a search.

maybe some of you guys know different, but milling a custom lever would be fairly simple to my eye. I would prolly shoot for something that runs to the side of the stock that is palm or meat of the thumb actuated. But then it seems to me it kinda stops being a Henry cause that lever is gone. Idk, any thoughts. I was looking for an interesting project, even if it is just building the file for the milling, since I like the rifle how it is generally. Cheers.