High BC or faster bullet?

Am building a 280AI 26 to 28'' barrel for long range 400m to 1000m hunting (varments/deer) but also want to have the option of LR target shooting

I have run some data through my ballistics program 180gr Ber VLD mv 2820fps and 162gr Amax mv 3000fps, 180gr show it drops 86cm more but has 3.5cm less drift (10mph wind)

I have read that alot of target shooters are using 180 because of the high BC and I guess higher energy is also a good thing for hunting, I believe in look what the experts are using but the Amax seems like a better option, flatter and only 3.5cm @1k seems erelevant as im not going for world 1000yd record

If barrel life is effected by using different weighted bullets then that is also a consideration, before some one asks I would prefure to use one bullet type for all applications as I want to master the rifle and not get mixed up over what round does what over different ranges/wind conditions

I guess what Im asking is what round is going to give me the best accuracy or best compromise for what Im doing???

I would go for the most accurate bullet "YOUR" rifle likes the most. This will take some ladder testing. When you find out then stick with it. :)

joseph

I agree with the prior post that accuracy is a priority. For hunting at your intended max range I think right behind being able to hit your target is the bullet performance. Weight and energy is only important if the bullet does damage and doesn't pencil through or blow up before it hits the vitals. If these aspects were equal, I would opt for bullet and velocity combination that gives the lowest wind drift, since this is the most difficult variable to determine. Generally I prefer a high BC bullet unless I loose the advantage in having to use too low a velocity. Differences in drop within reason takes on lesser importance since range and drop data can be determined and accounted for. As to barrel wear, I think bullet velocity is a much bigger factor than bullet type with hunting style bullets. IMHO.

I agree with the prior post that accuracy is a priority. For hunting at your intended max range I think right behind being able to hit your target is the bullet performance. Weight and energy is only important if the bullet does damage and doesn't pencil through or blow up before it hits the vitals. If these aspects were equal, I would opt for bullet and velocity combination that gives the lowest wind drift, since this is the most difficult variable to determine. Generally I prefer a high BC bullet unless I loose the advantage in having to use too low a velocity. Differences in drop within reason takes on lesser importance since range and drop data can be determined and accounted for. As to barrel wear, I think bullet velocity is a much bigger factor than bullet type with hunting style bullets. IMHO.
What this guy said (all of it)gun)

Am building a 280AI 26 to 28'' barrel for long range 400m to 1000m hunting (varments/deer) but also want to have the option of LR target shooting

I have run some data through my ballistics program 180gr Ber VLD mv 2820fps and 162gr Amax mv 3000fps, 180gr show it drops 86cm more but has 3.5cm less drift (10mph wind)

I have read that alot of target shooters are using 180 because of the high BC and I guess higher energy is also a good thing for hunting, I believe in look what the experts are using but the Amax seems like a better option, flatter and only 3.5cm @1k seems erelevant as im not going for world 1000yd record

If barrel life is effected by using different weighted bullets then that is also a consideration, before some one asks I would prefure to use one bullet type for all applications as I want to master the rifle and not get mixed up over what round does what over different ranges/wind conditions

I guess what Im asking is what round is going to give me the best accuracy or best compromise for what Im doing???
Run your numbers again. Typically the Higher BC bullet is going to be maintaining greater velocity beyone 600yds over the lighter bullet.

Out to 600yds velocity is king, beyond 600yds, higher BC is king because the lower BC lighter bullet is bleeding energy/velocity faster from 600yds on.

I had the same issue with a gun 180Hybrids @ 2950 VS 162Amax's @ 3250.

this is what I came up with yes at normal hunting ranges 0-1000 the Amax's get there flatter, but the 180's buck the wind better. what I decided was very simple.

A. I have a range finder that can tell me within .5 a yard what the distance is.

B. Nothing I have ever seen can tell you what the wind will do during the bullets trip.

TAKE THE HEAVIER BULLET THAT BUCKS THE WIND BETTER. YOUR RANGE FINDER CAN TELL YOU THE YARDAGE IS. AND IF IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH YOUR NOT DIALING A TURRET WHO CARES??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.