High BC 25 caliber bullets and barrel for 257 Wby

Mike D Texas

I've been looking into rebarelling my 257 Wby that currently has a 10 twist Krieger barrel on it. It's only a matter of time until it's toast because I've been pushing it hard with 115 Bergers and RL25 powder at 3600+ FPS.

Currently it looks like Blackjack is the longest running maker of high BC 25 cal bullets but they only offer the ACE and it appears to be a target bullet. I know that Hammer makes a 128 grain bullet but the advertised BC is wayyyy lower than the Blackjack or the newer Berger bullets that are on the horizon. Are there any other options out there?

As to barrels my Krieger has been fantastic but I'm not married to it. I also have a Brux on a 260 AI that is a shooter. I've read that a 7 twist is too fast for the 257 Wby So what twist is recommended?

The 131 Blackjack (made by Sierra and is a Match King) is an awesome bullet, for paper, steel, and game. But, it has been on backorder since at least December.

Berger just released the 135 LR Hyb. Shows a lot of promise in several fast 25s I have been testing them in so far. And they WRECK game, just like the 131 Blackjack does.

Berger has announced a 133 Elite Hunter, but has not released yet.

I have heard rumors of a Hornady 135 A-tip and a 130+ Hornady ELD. But nothing official yet.

I shoot the 121 Hammer Hunter in my 25SST @ 3430fps, and they are a 1-hole load. But as you know, BC is inflated from claims.

Last edited:
The 131 Blackjack (made by Sierra and is a Match King) is an awesome bullet, for paper, steel, and game. But, it has been on backorder since at least December.

Berger just released the 135 LR Hyb. Shows a lot of promise in several fast 25s I have been testing them in so far. And they WRECK game, just like the 131 Blackjack does.

Berger has announced a 133 Elite Hunter, but has not released yet.

I have heard rumors of a Nosler 135 A-tip and a 130+ Hornady ELD. But nothing official yet.

I shoot the 121 Hammer Hunter in my 25SST @ 3430fps, and they are a 1-hole load. But as you know, BC is inflated from claims.
How well does the 121 hh preform on game. I have some to try in my 257 Blackbird?

I've been looking into rebarelling my 257 Wby that currently has a 10 twist Krieger barrel on it. It's only a matter of time until it's toast because I've been pushing it hard with 115 Bergers and RL25 powder at 3600+ FPS.

Currently it looks like Blackjack is the longest running maker of high BC 25 cal bullets but they only offer the ACE and it appears to be a target bullet. I know that Hammer makes a 128 grain bullet but the advertised BC is wayyyy lower than the Blackjack or the newer Berger bullets that are on the horizon. Are there any other options out there?

As to barrels my Krieger has been fantastic but I'm not married to it. I also have a Brux on a 260 AI that is a shooter. I've read that a 7 twist is too fast for the 257 Wby So what twist is recommended?

I have 1:7" on mine. It is built primarily for the Berger 133s. Meantime, I will use the high BC 117 Cayugas (1:7, G7 .282) until the 133s are out. A very dear friend also sent me some 131 BJ's to try. There's also the 110 BD2 (1:7" G7 .292)

Last edited:
If you re building a long barrel, 27" or greater, I d use an 8 twt or maybe an 8.5 twt. Do the math on rpms and use stability calculators. The velocities and heat of a long tube can be hard on jackets and building a high performance cartridge/rifle that blows up your preferred bullets can be a bummer; especially when there's not a large choice of high BC bullets in 25 cal.

I m thinking same as you but I just hate to take my 700 Rem 10 twt barrel off my 257 with only 300 rounds down it!

Keep us posted.

Well, I hope a 7 twist isn't too fast. I'm having a 26" hart barrel in 7 twist made for my 25-06, so I can run the 116 gr and 121 gr hammers.

Well, I hope a 7 twist isn't too fast. I'm having a 26" hart barrel in 7 twist made for my 25-06, so I can run the 116 gr and 121 gr hammers.
Should be great. I have a 1-7.25" twist Helix6 on my 25-284. Shoots the 131 BJ very good.

Should be great. I have a 1-7.25" twist Helix6 on my 25-284. Shoots the 131 BJ very good.
I wouldve went with a 1-7 1/2, but Hart didn't give me that option. Either a 7, 8, or 9 twist. Hammer recommends 1-8 minimum for the 121's, so I just thought what the heck, just as well do the 7.

Recent Posts