Hiding your stink

Ok. Hijacking thread to go comedian. If you go 2 months without eating meat, you are a full blown vegetarian ! 😉
Not really. I've gone vegetarian before, testing diets to see what affects my rheumatoid arthritis. Your smell does change, a lot. What also affects your smell is how you prepare your food. Based on my experience, cumin, turmeric, garlic and sesame (both the seeds and sesame oil) tend to make one stinkier. The fattier your food, the more stink too.

I've pondered going vegetarian before a hunt, but having spent enough time around livestock, eating veggies only won't get rid of the human part of the smell.

And yes, eating badly prepared sushi is a great way to get intestinal parasites.

Here in Australia hunting deer in the Victorian High Country, as it is known, we found cleaning/washing yourself and clothing in Eucalyptus scented stuff was the ticket to masking ones' scent in the bush.
We also use a 80/20 mix of Eucalyptus/Tea Tree oils on our bodies and gear, in fact my tent, bag, daypack and rifle slings etc all get a light spray of this oil mix prior to heading to an area.
Have had deer standing 3 metres away looking straight at me not knowing what I was. A lot of this is due to the oil mix, as it masks your odour very well if places where you normally sweat. Hats and beanies need to be doused as well.
Anyway, that's what a few of us deer hunters discovered 30 years ago, and there was no camo clothing back then other than army stuff, which I used army pants back then to break up the 2 legged beast profile.

Cheers.

I've guided 32 years archery elk and hunt deer and elk exclusively with a bow. I also have and still do hunt wolves and coyotes with a bow. I can't tell you how many elk I've had in bow range during that time. I've touched a few. Made a mistake grabbing a deers leg once too. I used to record the number of bulls within range and my best year was 68. It was 2016. Haven't been anywhere close to that since. Usually 10-15 a season is normal. Maybe I stink more than in 2016....... maybe I can't read the wind. Heck some people believe the right camo pattern makes you invisible and the internet makes you an expert. Go figure. In the end, stay down wind and don't move at the wrong time. If you don't like they way your stinky @$$ smells, do something about it. You never know when some horny old mountain woman might get frisky with ya. Be prepared.
**** bro…. Wolves with a bow….you got some brass balls my friend!

**** bro…. Wolves with a bow….you got some brass balls my friend!
Naw. I want to get more but holy **** they are hard to hunt with a bow. Killed several with in bow range with a rifle but it's not the same. Built a long range pistol tho. That is a new idea I decided on. 🤦‍♂️

If available, water first, right, or does that go without saying? While it doesn't remove human scent, it cleans, refreshes and is a natural smell for the area. Cedar or pine oil, or any other natural vegetation that's odorous. Manure. Scent free soap, deodorant and wipes. I like to dry my close with cedar shavings tied up in an old sock. Does it work? IDK, but I like the idea of it all.

Naw. I want to get more but holy **** they are hard to hunt with a bow. Killed several with in bow range with a rifle but it's not the same. Built a long range pistol tho. That is a new idea I decided on. 🤦‍♂️
Long range pistols are on my short list for sure. This forum is bad for my bank account.

I'm a gun hunter, and occasionally a bow hunter! Many times I have been winded by game who IMMEDIATELY turned on their rocket motors and vanished! And I always try to stay downwind from my prey! I always take great pains to reduce my scent, knowing that this increases my odds of success! Once in the jungles of Nam we were 23 days on one long hunt, and we would wash every day using mud for soap, and water rinse! Wash fatigues when we could! That was the best we could do, but it kept the dogs off of us! I've read that a deer's nose is at least 10 times sharper than a dog's nose, so no wonder they are so ghost-like. That's why many hunters learn to stalk and hunt at longer ranges! Most of my hunting shots are at 70-300 yds for good reason! Their sense of smell is legendary, and they are Survivors!

I've guided 32 years archery elk and hunt deer and elk exclusively with a bow. I also have and still do hunt wolves and coyotes with a bow. I can't tell you how many elk I've had in bow range during that time. I've touched a few. Made a mistake grabbing a deers leg once too. I used to record the number of bulls within range and my best year was 68. It was 2016. Haven't been anywhere close to that since. Usually 10-15 a season is normal. Maybe I stink more than in 2016....... maybe I can't read the wind. Heck some people believe the right camo pattern makes you invisible and the internet makes you an expert. Go figure. In the end, stay down wind and don't move at the wrong time. If you don't like they way your stinky @$$ smells, do something about it. You never know when some horny old mountain woman might get frisky with ya. Be prepared.
Brent, that's some good wisdom. Thank you for making me chuckle.

I am a believer in scent lock/ block clothing and scent minimizing sprays. My wife and I have had bull elk at 4 yards, herds of cows 360 degrees around us at less than 5 feet away as we sat at the base of a tree, and a lone calf that I was almost able to touch it's nose it was so close. We take our clothing off and hang it outside of our camp. We wipe down every evening with a mixture of 5% white vinegar to 95% water to kill bacteria, and we use unscented lip balm, and deodorant. It's worked well for me.

Recent Posts