Hiding your stink

Hear is another area people spend too much money trying to fix deer are curios get a pile of leaves set them on fire put out the flames and stand in the smoke for a few minutes problem solved . Tip from a local outdoor show it works, I got cold during deer season set a fire and the deer came running to me they were cold too lol

I know I smell after a couple days in the woods. Do any of you rely on anything to cover your stink? I know there are all sorts of gimmicks but do they work? I have bought the Sent Blocker spray and some fancy deodorant before but I haven't used it for years. I am planning an archery hunt this year and just wondering what you all think of this stuff and things like it to mask the "from under cheese" smell that comes out after a few days of hiking and no showers. I plan on playing the wind more then relying on a fancy spray

Various unscented baby wipes, towelettes, etc for night time cleaning. Unscented antiperspirants not deodorants and use them liberally everywhere. Baking soda works well, but some skins do not tolerate them long-term. Hanging your hunting clothes out at night to air. Before the hunt, I wash all my hunting clothes and spare socks, underwear etc in unscented laundry soaps and rinse with baking soda in the water and air dry to avoid the fabric softener smells in the house dryer. Bring along a large unscented garbage bag or two and when in your hunting area, place varied nontoxic aromatic plants in the bag (pine, cedar, juniper, sage, dirt, etc) and overnight, place your next day hunting clothes in the bag. (I've used this technique for very close ground bow and lance hunting for Southern Whitetails and when combined with other scent reducing techniques above, I have had great results.)

Of course, if you have water in the area or spare water you can bring, sponge bathe with unscented soaps and then sprinkle with baking soda.

Even with the best scent reducing/masking, always monitor your winds with a small squirt bottle of baby powder or similar.

Has anyone had any experience with an Ozonics scent elimin
I used something similar once. Therma cell I think? It was for tree stand and blind hunting. It was designed to wear. I didn't think it worked. I tried charcoal suits too. It seemed a little better. Even had these dissolving discs for reducing mouth and breath odor. Nothing seemed to worked really. I just resolved myself to keeping the best hygiene I can and playing the wind game.

So many ideas. Here's one. Eat like a predator, smell like a predator. Eat like prey, smell like prey. Only problem is, I can't go without meat for more than 24 hours.

also, I'm convinced that deer and elk can smell my bow. I can go into the woods without it, and have to "shoo" the animals out of my path. Regardless of wind.
😂

Just a thought, predators in the wild stink and don't use scent eliminator products. You can learn a lot from the real professionals/experts.
You hear hunters say they watched a predator circle down wind to get the hunter's/decoy's scent. Maybe they are actually circling down wind to hide their own stinky scent.

Anonymous, I tend to read/listen and gather insights and experiences from others prior to weighing in. Rather than referring to them as idiotic. Which is what this forum is primarily about 👌
I will however disagree with the comment: "Reducing it doesn't matter. If you haven't eliminated it"
Any reduction in scent would be a good thing right???? (again not an expert here)
I could see it having little effect on a final stalk perhaps with the wind blowing directly to the animal, but to me the narrower your scent swath is the better off you'll be in general.
Reducing scent might do little to nothing for a stalk with bad wind, but will do a world of good for your hunt area as a whole. A little stink is better than a lot of stink!

These opinions have not been validated by an expert

You should go back to reading. This is why I
stated it as idiotic and why I rhetorically questioned people's hunting experience.

Again the point is missed, because the focus is on framing of words.

In most aspects of western hunting (when you you're not road hunting or whatever) all your scent reducing products litterally go away during the hike. Like, pretty much in the first mile. As I said. Don't believe me? Go hike a mile up a mountain then have someone sniff ALL your clothes. Reducing your scent doesn't matter because ANY human scent is going to alert game.

If you can't eliminate scent, then reducing it is just for you. The animal doesn't care how strong or pungent your scent is…it just wants to not be by humans.

I'm not aware how you hunt, but it doesn't seem like how I hunt. I'm not super concerned with blowing an area out with scent. Just hiking up hill to a glassing area already does that. My concern for an area comes down to getting the wind right when I'm game planing a stalk from my glassing point. So back to "experience" this is what I'm talking about.

If you where still hunting the woods or stand/blind hunting then I might change my mind but that's just not how I do business.

That wasn't a swing for the fence. Pm me on snipershide where there are adult rules and I can demonstrate what the fence looks like..;)

You hear hunters say they watched a predator circle down wind to get the hunter's/decoy's scent. Maybe they are actually circling down wind to hide their own stinky scent.
Both, no doubt. I've observed a lot of interesting behavior from mtn lions, yotes, and wolves. Cats seem to be much more concerned with down wind approaches or ambush. Wolves and yotes, use pack hunting and drive game. I've had wolves approach me from all different directions but in areas where they have been educated they tend to want that wind to ident the source of the calling.

Something that still blows my mind is when I bow hunt with my dog. Normally he does really well but.... once I called in a bull, real early morning, and it came in 30 yards and my **** dog growled at him. Bull moved away, called the bull back. This time the bull came in 10 yards and my dog was visible to the bull the entire time. My dog lost his ****, broke away from me, chased the elk about 20 yards, and came back. The bull stopped and hung out still looking for that hot cow, he was 50/60 yards away. I was like *** is going on. That was a mess. I stayed quite, watched the bull work his way up the draw. Called the dang thing back in a hour later at the summit. That was extreme but I have had similar experiences with the dog a few times. They are not that spooked by his presence (sight, sound, scent). Of course if they see me move, or catch my scent alone, they are gone usually. Occasionally you get them to stick around for a second chance.

So many ideas. Here's one. Eat like a predator, smell like a predator. Eat like prey, smell like prey. Only problem is, I can't go without meat for more than 24 hours.

also, I'm convinced that deer and elk can smell my bow. I can go into the woods without it, and have to "shoo" the animals out of my path. Regardless of wind.
😂
I knew a biology professor back in the 80s that was a bow hunting fanatic. He stopped eating any meat every year on August 1st. He had a wall FULL of 190+ inchers. He also had an unequaled ability to scout a property and place multiple stands for wind conditions and the discipline to never hunt a spot or stand that would compromise him on a given day. He swore that it was predator pheromones not human scent that would change patterns of big bucks.

I have ****ed out of my climber, and 30 minutes later had nature deer walk through the wet spot and not pay it any attention. On other occasions, watch a deer approach 300 yards away and turn completely inside out when it crossed my path of entry. I believe the mood they're in has a lot to do with it.

I go vegetarian for two months prior to hunting season. Makes passing wind loud and proud, and smells like garlic and stale beans.
Wash from a bowl of water from the creek. Someone once asked me if I was concerned about protozoa or flatworms, washing from creek water. I looked at them and said, "I eat sushi." They didn't understand.

J/K on the vegetarian part.

Last edited: