Hiding your stink

KSB209

I know I smell after a couple days in the woods. Do any of you rely on anything to cover your stink? I know there are all sorts of gimmicks but do they work? I have bought the Sent Blocker spray and some fancy deodorant before but I haven't used it for years. I am planning an archery hunt this year and just wondering what you all think of this stuff and things like it to mask the "from under cheese" smell that comes out after a few days of hiking and no showers. I plan on playing the wind more then relying on a fancy spray

No the don't really work. Especially for western hunting. Use baby wipes so you don't have to smell yourself and get the wind right on the stalk.
Anti microbial clothes help things from getting too too bad.

Even so, sometimes a buck beds in a area that has bad swirls or the terrain takes longer to negotiate then originally thought, and the wind changes. Nothing you can do about that. Just how it goes bow hunting.

Last edited:
Tough to stay baby fresh in long hunt but there are a few things you can do to help mitigate the build up of "scent".
My "need" is for clean underwear each day. I will sacrifice weight for that plus there are tech clothing to help in that area. I bring about 10 clothespins to hang clothing to air out and rotate while clothing is airing out. Helps immensely. Cannot say enough about using baby wipes for your high "scent" areas each day. I change out socks twice a day and hang them out to air out for days. Boots are tougher but I try to take off each midday and let them air out along with socks. If I am near a brook, I wash up without soap and air out feet. Nothing like it!!!

I got more educated on scent cones hunting Coyotes and bowhunting deer. I've learned you can do everything possible with scent management and hide from a downwind deer for a couple of hours or so. Ozone generators might give you some more time with cervids, but there is nothing you can do with coyotes other than stay down or cross wind and hope he doesn't cross your scent trail. I don't use anything anymore. I try and stay clean mostly for my own comfort. Success comes from learning wind patterns in your area and using them to stay hidden. It is simple as that. We stink! Live with it and learn to use it. One tip, Anti Monkey Butt powder is a godsend for chafing. May help keep scent down some but don't count on it. Great stuff if you sweat any or walk allot. Use it on your groin and feet.

Thanks guys. I also pack fresh undies and socks for everyday. For me I have found baby powder to keep the chaffing away better then creams. I've tried them all. I got a pack of the Scent Away baby wipes a few years ago and found them in my gear all dried out. That lead me to start this discussion. I have a few bottles of the spray that are probably 4-5 years old I was going to toss in the can too.
So it's….ball powder, baby wipes, clean undies and socks, and play the wind. Got it!

Thanks guys. I also pack fresh undies and socks for everyday. For me I have found baby powder to keep the chaffing away better then creams. I've tried them all. I got a pack of the Scent Away baby wipes a few years ago and found them in my gear all dried out. That lead me to start this discussion. I have a few bottles of the spray that are probably 4-5 years old I was going to toss in the can too.
So it's….ball powder, baby wipes, clean undies and socks, and play the wind. Got it!
Get some Anti Monkey Butt from TSC and throw the baby powder away. 100X better. Trust me.

The other main point is really important is to dress in layers and peel off ASAP to prevent overheating. Small effort can help stop generating extra "stink"! Even your hat can generate excessive heat while climbing etc. I strip down for initial launch in morning even to having chill to start.

Recommend cover scent if it's possible to use like skunk, coon, pine etc specific/natural to your area. Think rubbing pine tree branches or leaves on your clothing help too. Be sure to get the scent-free baby wipes too as mentioned earlier. If you have the luxury of any scent killer maybe stored in a vehicle, it doesn't hurt to use. Whitetail doe pee has also worked for me (if whitetails are in the area of course), just be careful not to get a bear stalking you!

Just keep in mind folks, some of these areas talking about being hunted by the OP is like 115F (-+5F) possibly.

Layers are probably not an issue and deodorant is of small comfort as one could be naked as a jay bird and still be scorching IF the OP is hunting where he's from.

Hunting the Mojave area I could only imagine would still be almost 100f at night.

Just keep in mind folks, some of these areas talking about being hunted by the OP is like 115F (-+5F) possibly.

Layers are probably not an issue and deodorant is of small comfort as one could be naked as a jay bird and still be scorching IF the OP is hunting where he's from.

Hunting the Mojave area I could only imagine would still be almost 100f at night.
So what's your solution? I think deodorant does work. Wipes work too. Sweat is something that happens but stink comes from bacteria. Control the bac and you control odor to some degree.

So what's your solution? I think deodorant does work. Wipes work too. Sweat is something that happens but stink comes from bacteria. Control the bac and you control odor to some degree.
They help, they don't "Work". Also, be sure and apply deodorant to behind your ears, and on the back of your legs at your knees. There are scent glands there. They are not just under your arms. Feet too. But, this will only make you more popular with the ladies and your hunting partners. Won't do much for downwind game. Don't believe all the marketing hype. Show me ANYTHING that will work on a downwind Coyote, even for just long enough for a shot, and I will buy it.

Recent Posts