hiding the gas block??

roughneck

Hello all,

I am working up a 6 by 45 AR build and i just had my smith machine down a shilen blank and drill a midlength gas port.

Now.... I want to hide a gas block beneath the handgaurd... any and all suggestion will be great, but i don't want to use more than 150 dollars out of my budget for the handgaurd, or 75 dollars for the gas block.

I'm open to tube and four rails, as long as they are free float.

Help!

Tex

NomadPilot,

Thank you for the advice. The gas block is perfect for what I need and I have just ordered one. On the other hand, I would like to, if possible, find a different handgaurd. I have two JPs, which are the same a the VTAC... so id like something a little different.

Thanks very much for the tips

Any one else wanna help out?

Tex

YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. – Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors | Forearms

Ive been pretty satisfied with the YHM stuff. My personal favorite is their customizable round free float that you can add rails too. price around me was around $165.00. They also have a fairly small gas block.

On my non heavy bbl rifles I have tried a few different configurations. Crazy as it sounds, My go-to deer rifle ended up with standard plastic mid-length hand guards. They dont get cold or tink-tink on deerstand/twigs when its real cold, and they are light. I still get excellent accuracy inside of 300yds.

If you get YHM, be sure to get their spanner wrench. it will save you WECSOG pain/blood, and keep from buggering your new toy.

adam,

I really like yankee hill, does the customizeable free float have a good look to it? I can't find too many close ups, and im trying to build an attractive rifle in case ever sell it. Also, could you give me the inside diameter?

Thanks very much bud.

Tex

I really like yankee hill, does the customizeable free float have a good look to it? I can't find too many close ups, and im trying to build an attractive rifle in case ever sell it.
I've got one of those, too. I think it has a good look to it. I prefer my VTAC, but the YHM is clean and neat, which are big to me.
img9924y.jpg

img9925u.jpg

img9929f.jpg

Obviously I didn't get the rifle length. In hindsight I would have and completely covered the gas block. The Specter works just fine, but I would have liked the covered look like I have on the rifle with the VTAC.
Also, could you give me the inside diameter?
I can't get my calipers far enough inside to measure 100% precisely, but 1.7" is pretty close.

yes, i think it looks good. You can put as much or as little rail on it as you like. Mine came with 3 sections. The short one, one 6" and a full length. I put the 6" on the bottom, and the long one on the top, with the short one on the right side.

I guess it looks "tactical" enough for those that go in for that stuff. Its as light as you are going to get in a free float with rails without spending a ton. Nice and smooth near the magazine well. Doesnt grind your hand, and the grip is fairly narrow there as well, because you put as much or little rail as you want.

Its 1.745" behind the threads.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.