Hi-Speed Firing Pin

700man

Anybody use a hi-speed firing pin, did it make a noticeable difference? If so what brand and did you install it yourself?

700man,

I have, and do use HS strikers in several of my rifles, and I think the do help a bit. Problem here is, I'm a competitive shooter, and I think it's most useful advantage comes in offhand shooting first, and sitting second. From a solid prone with a sling, I don't think I'd really see any noticeable difference. Ditto for a solid rested position, as I assume you're asking about a hunting rifle? I've installed them in both rem 700s and Win 70s, no problems at all in either one.

I also use a lightened hammer in my Service Rifles (ARs), but again, we fire 25% of our score in offhand and that's a worthwhile advantage.

Bottom line is, they get the bullet out of the bore a bit quicker which is always a good thing, but more critical in those positions which good follow through is the most difficult. Up to you . . .

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.