Hi, I'm from Texas, but I don't brag about much

moonzapa

I've been hunting for over 35 years now and really enjoy it. I was born in Kansas and moved all around the country with my military family. Don't regret anything about moving around so much.

Since moving back to Texas in 1999, I've been on several hog hunts, one hunt in the Palo Dura Canyon area and the rest have been in South Texas, around Corpus Christi. I've been using a .280 Rem in a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Light, highly recommended. Recently moved up to a 30-06 springfield bolt action rifle which I was going to tell you all about.

Thanks for the time.

I'd go ahead and brag some, if I were you. I'm in Western OK, "fly over country". TX & OK are still some of the 'freest' parts of the country, and, we like it!

Last edited:
Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Tell us about your 06'. Enjoy.

Welcome to the site! Ton of good info and knowledgable people(me excluded :D).
Just got back from a hog hunt in central Texas (hill country). I really envy you. I love Texas. Once I'm done with school I'm pretty sold on studying down there.

I recently bought a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 30-06. I haven't taken any game with this rifle yet, however, I've developed a good load for it. Surprisingly, I chose a bullet with a cannelure, that shoots exceptionally well. The Hornady SST 165 grain. I've always thought that good reloading procedures included that you seat the bullet ogive no further than ten thousandths of an inch away from the lans and groves of the barrel. However, this rifle responded to a cartridge that is roll crimped on the cannelure, and is seated 1/8" (ogive) off of the lans and groves!!! I am consistently getting less than 1-inch groups at 100 yards. More times than not, if I shoot a large group it was because I hurried the shots. Anyway, I'm extremely happy. (I tried other brands of premium bullets, but this rifle has responded to the H brand and IMR-4831). I plan to use this load on my next hog hunt. Sorry about getting so windy. This combination may work in your 30-06, too. I'll post this stuff in "Reloading" next time.

Thanks for the very kind welcome. Glad to be here. :)

I also worked up a great load with Hornady SST's and IMR 4831. but they were for my 270wsm and my dads 270wsm both featherwt Model-70's. They shoot the same charge, but require different seating depths. Incredibly accurate too! I just wish I had more confidence in the SST. I shot 24 rounds at 450yds between the two rifles at a target fixed to a piece of plywood. I recovered only two of the 24 bullets shot, from the dirt behind the target, and both had complete core/jackett seperation. Not impressed with the performance, but LOVE the accuracy(best group was 2.586'' at 450, with my dads rifle of course:cool:).
Maybe Im not giving the SST a fair shake with the plywood, but 2 of 24 isnt good feedback. I dont know. But now I have the load data, so I can expiriment with bonded bullets(wich I do trust), and if I cant get em to shoot, I can always go back to the SST. I do love the high B.C. and the way they fly out of our rifles!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.