hi guys my name is mike

cruzroy

i have a remington 700 SA .243, its been in the family a long time, i dont know the year, but the story was it was transported on a plane, rifle in belly and bolt in carry-on, the carry-on came up missing, so i would like to bring it back alive, but dont now much, or how to go about finding a new bolt.

thanks for any help

im in ma.

Welcome to LRH Mike.
A used bolt might fit but the headspace will need to be adjusted by a smith. A local gunsmith might be the best pace to start?
Another thought and may not be what your looking to do but have a smith set two guns up for the same bolt=Makes it real easy to order new barrels as the smith will already have the specslightbulb

Your best option for a used bolt will probably be finding a used gun in poor condition that you can use the bolt from. Pawn shops often have rifles that aren't up to what gun shops want & if you aren't in a hurry, you might score.

With a bolt from another gun you should have the headspace checked before you fire it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.