Hi Guys, I'm back with a Question

gamehauler

Hi, I have been gone from this site for a little while for no other reason
than I got on a Contender kick after finishing up my
longer range rifles.
Sorry about that and I really did miss this site.
Them dang Contenders are way to addicting:rolleyes:
In less than a years time I now have 2 frames, 10 barrels and sold one each.

Anyway, I am now on another longer range pack in rifle project.
I picked up a 300WSM Remington barrel for a good price and now am starting to research what I want in a receiver.
Money is a factor so I plan on picking up a Rem. 700 action and this is where my question comes into play.
I am hoping to use Berger VLD's and as we know they seem to like to be seated out towards the lands.
My thought is, could I use a 700 long action with the 300WSM so that the magazine does not become an issue?
I have never done a build like this before so please forgive my ignorance.

At least I am smart enough to know where to find the answer,
The great guys on Longrange:)

Mike

A long action would certainly allow you to seat the bullets out further. I had a .243 that I had the smith rechamber for me. We set the barrel back one thread and rechambered it. However, I instructed him to not touch the throat. This effectively moved the lands back about .062" and put my 105 gn A-Maxes .012" off the lands running at max mag length. Rifle shot very well like this. By the way, were in Az are you located?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts