Hi from South Africa

King David83

Howzit all

My name is David I live in Johannesburg, South Africa I'm 29 years old started hunting at about 15 years old. I am a Tree Feller/Arborist by day to pay for all the hunting bills and ammo.

When our laws changed it was either give up 3 of my guns or go through the mountains of paper work to keep them, so I went through the paper work and kept them. I am now a Gun Nut so to speak and enjoy hunting, target shooting, clay pigeon and hand gun shooting. I am a member on our own Gunsite and a member of the SA Hunters Association.

I am joining here to learn more about the art of long distance target shooting of 500 meters and more, as one day I would like to own either a .338 Lapua or a .50 Barrett.

Cheers David.​

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Always find it interesting reading the Shooters' overseas opinions, laws, hunting practices and quarry. I've read many books of hunting in Africa back in the day by some of the great PH's. How's that more gun laws working out with crime and bad guys for y'all? :rolleyes:

Gene

Hi Gene

As I said before, the license process here is a mountain of paper work for the law abiding citizen, where as the criminals just rob and steal from us in order to get their ill gotten gains, but alas if you are willing to do it, it's worth it.

In order to own a firearm here you have got to have a compentcy certificate, only then can you buy a fire arm. The compentcy if you lucky takes 2-5 months and your license could take anything from 1 month to 2 years, don't ask it just that people here are paid to do nothing or they just pass the buck to someone els who passes the buck ect. Once you have you are allowed 4 firearms, 1 pistol for self defence, one shot gun for clay pigeon or hunting and 2 rifles for hunting or target, in order to own more guns you have to become a dedicated hunter or shorts shooter. So as I said its a pain in the butt but worth it at the end of the day.

As for hunting there is the usual game to hunt all the antelope from Impala to Eland and if you can afford it, the Big 5. I am hoping to hunt a Buffalo next year for a birthday present from me to me love me.

Cheers David​

Yep, the bad guys always get what they need. I know from when I was a LEO in the Federal Prison system. Inmates flat out said," them laws are 4 you". When asked how hard & long it is to get a gun they said," If I got out today, I could have one before bed tonight".
Good luck on your quest for a Buff! Keep us posted on your hunts. And Photos to. Please
TTYL,
Gene

Welcome David,

Better take some of those guns and hide them somewhere before they change their mind! Arborist is good work... dangerous. What's your favorite lift? I read a little about South Africa on Wikipedia. Keep us in the loop regarding hunting/shooting. Pictures are always appreciated.

Hi David, Welcome to the site!! Iv'e wanted go hunting over there my whole life. Maybe someday. There is so much info on this site you can read for days and not see it all.

Russ

Thanks for the welcom guys.

@Mike we don't use lifts here as such, all the guys who work for me climb into the trees using a ladder or scaffolding.

@Green Hornet, I have never hunted any where els before only here in South Africa, so I can't compare to hunting anywhere els, so when you get a chance to come over here to hunt go for it,it some of the best you will get any where in the world. I'll post some photos next week of what I have hunted this year so far.

Cheers David.

Welcome,

Having just come back from a South Africa hunt in July, I can attest to the awesomeness of hunting there. The variety of animals you'll see in a day is fascinating. While I did not shoot - I saw Rhinoceros, Cape Buffalo, Eland, Kudo, Sable, Impala, Warthogs and more, in one day. Write up in progress on my hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.