Hi all new here

Bareback Jack, there's a post somewhere and if I recall Kirby posted some stats on his 338 Allen Magnum shooting a 300 SMK w/30" barrel and velocity was if I recall correctly 3315fps. You could probably do a search on Allen Magnum and get some info or contact Kirby direct...email is best way to get a hold of him...if your interest is peaked.

Bareback, the only way to get 3200 fps with a 300 smk is to move up to a wildcat off the chey-tac case. If you don't want to do that the 338-378 wby and 338-416 Rigby imp are the fastest and will get you over 3000 fps. I can give you plenty of data on any big 338 you are looking at except the chey-tac and bigger stuff. Just never went there.

You mentioned the 250 grain bullet. My 338-378 and 338-416 imp accuracy loads average 3275-3350 fps in a 28" barrel.

Last edited:
I have dropped a e-mail to Mr. Allen a few days ago with what I'm looking to have.

Isn't the 338 AM a necked down 408 chey-tec.I did read the spec's once on it.
So what kind of action will the 338 AM fit?

This probaly what I would like a heavy sport in 12-18 lbs,32" Lija barrel and one of Mr.Allens breaks,topped with either the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO MC with RPZ-1000 plex or the NF 5.5-22x50 NXS NP-R2 plex.

I'm looking to shoot 1800-2000 yds and anywhere inbetween.

LTLR,I would be intrested in your data if you would like to share.
Thanks All
BBJ

Kirby's is a necked down chey-tac. He has one off an improved lapua design also. Some of the improved lapua designs are exceptional long range rifles producing velocities right at the top of what you can get before going to an expensive chey-tac build. The shorter improved lapua design has some advantages over the 338's based off the 378 and 416 rigby cases. I could never beat the 338-378 velocity in an improved lapua design so that is why I stayed with the 338-378 for most of my long range hunting work. I have posted average velocities on here many times from the most common big 338's. If there is one in particular you want let me know. Basically they vary 200 fps from the 338 and 338-300 ultramag on the low end to the improved lapuas and the ones off the big 378 and 416 imp cases on the high end.

LTLR,
I sent u a pm.

I'm starting to lean towards the .338 allen express,what actions are sutible to start a build Sako,Rem 700,Win 70 or custom?

Thanks
BBJ

Bareback Jack, Last time Kirby and I exchanged emails this was the lineup of actions by caliber he usually uses.

Bat M action I use this receiver for my 338 Allen Magnum which is based on the 408 CT parent case.

For the 338 AX which is based on the 338 Lapua case I would use the BAT HRPIC receiver.

For an Edge, I would use a Borden Timberline Magnum receiver.

BJ did you make your mind up .338ax or .338 edge if so share. let me know if you can go coyote hunnting new years weekend and i'll see you for xmas on thursday

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.